RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Seeking Room Recommendations

Author Topic: Seeking Room Recommendations
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going on the Zephyr (Denver to Chicago) and the Lake Shore Limited on to NYC in April. Deluxe room on both trains. I know they have different equipment but my knowledge of the differences isn't that good. I recall some recommendations on the board of specific room numbers as having a smoother ride because they are closer to the middle of the cars, etc. I hope one of you can refresh my memory so I can call back and request those rooms on each train.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to the sleeping car plans: http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

Some people like to avoid room A in the Superliners because it is a little smaller. If you look closely the toilet compartment is closer to the chair.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefffromark
Member # 827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jefffromark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deluxe Bedroom A is smaller and right near the door to the next car which you can hear opening and closing all day and night. The only benefit of this room is the fact it isn't adjoining so you do have a solid wall between you and Room B.

On the Viewliner sorry but your riding over the wheels.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my zephyr trip I had "B" and was pleased, exept when I woke up in Iowa and was bouncing off the bed. Of course the entire train was doing it as the track was so bad. It was hard to walk to the dining car for breakfast.

One more issue, the "B" couch is situated so you are riding backwards so I sat in the movable chair for most of the trip. Upside was only one of the two windows was new so if I was sitting on the couch i would have been looking through an opaque window.

One tip for you if you are only using the bottom bed. Deploy the upper bunk and latch it down because the upper bunk will be bouncing and squeeking like mad and wake you up if you don't. I didn't realize what the noise was for about 30 minutes until I figured it out and was able to sleep for another hour.

Jon

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a fairly frequent user of deluxe bedrooms, I strongly recommend "E" on the Superliners and "B" on the Viewliners. E on the superliner is dead centre, and the sofa is usually facing forward. As for B in the viewliner,although in the forward portion of the sleeper, it is not really over the wheels, as bedroom "A" and the handicapped room are forward of B (which rides rather smoothly).
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy said:
"Some people like to avoid room A in the Superliners because it is a little smaller. If you look closely the toilet compartment is closer to the chair."

But the door to the toilet is on the opposite side from the chair (towards the aisle), so you can park luggage next to the chair and not have to move it to get into the toilet. So in a way, you actually get a bit more floor space. I've met people that actually prefer room A for this reason. I've been in all 5 deluxe rooms at one time or another, and have no preference.
Chris

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks group. I appreciate the responses.
Ira

PS to Mr. Toy: looking forward to your tenure as Secretary of Transportation!

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the sound transmission like between deluxe rooms? I'm taking a trip on the Capitol Limited this summer with my two small children, and we have room C eastbound and room D on the return. I do my best, but they are not always perfect angels. I know there are moveable partitions between deluxe rooms. How well do they block sound?
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden in A and B. A does not have a common door so there is very little noise from the cabin next door. I didn't notice the wheel or door noise either.
While riding in cabin B we could have listened in to all of the conversations from cabin C. The common door is not sound proof.
I prefer to have the couch section facing the direction the train is headed, therefore I prefer A,C or E. If C and E are taken I will take A before B or D.
In any cabin, it is a great way to travel. Your fellow passengers (polite/rude, quiet/noisy, etc.) will have more of an impact on your trip than the cabin selection.
Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page