RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lamy, NM

Author Topic: Lamy, NM
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've decided to get the heck outta Dodge next month and my target is the Santa Fe Southern. I'm not sure yet if I'll drive or Chief it from LA, but if I do the train I'll need some wheels when I get there. Does anyone know if rental cars are available in Lamy? A clean little mom-and-pop motel would be nice too since I'm way too cheap to pay $100.00 a night in Santa Fe. The only reason I might drive is to have a bit more freedom in visiting my old stomping grounds around Grants and Albuquerque. Anyone know the Lamy area?
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I was in Lamy (fall 03) there were not services there at all. The last little restaurant and bar and closed a few years ago. There are some houses, the station and an old church and that's about it. There used to be shuttle bus service from Lamy to SF but I don't have any current info. BTW there was a story in the SF paper this week about some planning and city funding to try and extend the rail service from SF to Lamy and then ABQ. Sounds like a great idea. I visit SF about twice a year and have considered taking the Chief from Chi to NM. But I have always planned to go on to ABQ and rent a car there and drive to SF.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT LIKELY TO FIND ANYTHING IN LAMY BUT A BUS RIDE TO SANTA FE. CHECK THE WEB FOR CAR RENTALS IN SF.

LAS VEGAS, 60 +/- MILES EAST HAS VERY IN EXPENSIVE ROOMS AND IF YOU ARE COMING FROM THE EAST ( GET OUT OF DODGE )THAT MAY BE THE WAY TO RIDE THE TRAIN AND DO SANTA fE AND OTHER NEW MEXICO SITES FOR LESS $$$.
CAR RENTALS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE THERE.

IF COMING FROM THE WEST ( NOT GETTING OUT OF DODGE)THEN ALBUQ. WOULD BE THE PLACE TO RENT A CAR BUT ROOMS COULD BE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN LAS VEGAS.

GIVE US A REPORT PLEASE IF YOU MAKE THIS TRIP.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, ALL OF THE WAYS MENTIONED ABOVE INCLUDING STAYING IN SF.

BEST WISHES,

RRCHINA

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys, I was afraid that Lamy might have nothing since an online search came up with ZERO. Yea, Las Vegas was an option, I've always liked the town and getting to see the Castenada is always good. There was a little bar in the hotel about 10 years ago, anyone know if it's still there? I love Albu-cookie, but I know it well and have been there recently so I'd rather spend some time somewhere a bit more unusual to me like LV. Also thinking about searching out the old CB&Q line across NE New Mexico. Hmm, so many things to do, so little time... BTW, Rail sale right now between LAX and LMY is something like $31.00! Can't drive it for that.
P.S. "Dodge" is merely a term, I'm in Socal. :-)

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since northern New Mexico is my favorite train destination (I'll be literally getting out of Dodge in 3 weeks to the hour as I write this), I have tried many options.

For touring by rental car, it is best to avoid mileage charges and that means major cities, -which also have the most competitive rates. The airport at ABQ is only a 4mi cab ride from the depot. I just yesterday priced a compact thru Budget at ABQ for $118.99/week on 3/13. Rail Sale is good thru 3/15.

The shuttle from Lamy can be reserved thru Amtrak or contacted directly at 505-982-8829. Last time I took it 5-8 yrs ago it was $12 each way, and very pleasant. It stops at most downtown motels and picks you up where you choose. Once I rented from Avis and they came to the train to pick me up for free.

On Cerrillos Road past St. Michaels there are some cheaper motels such as Motel 6 and the Cactus Lodge for $50-$70. Up in Espanola you can get under $70 for a Comfort Inn, Days Inn or Super 8, if you don't mind the low-rider town. This is off season and you may do even better.

Back in the '70s I got off the Chief in Las Vegas and bicycled to Taos and Raton. Those were some hills! My daughter and I plan to ski up there on our way from the train (ABQ)to Phoenix next month. Hey, maybe I'll run into ya.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sounds as if you know your way around NM so I will inform of my latest experience, in 9-2003.
I think the Castenada Bar is still operating although I just drove by, too early for a beer.Lots of motels in LV and good food too.
The former C&S (CB&Q affiliate)is a busy RR
almost all of which is coal trains, and as I am sure you know is now BNSF.

Lots of RR history in NE NM in addition to this line. 1. two lines graded but only one operated between Raton and Des Moines but the grades are still visable. The easiest to see is from I-25 about 5 miles south of Raton
but can also be seen on the paved road toward Des Moines. 2. Santa Fe built and operated a rail line that originated in Dodge City ( get out of Dodge )and still exists as far as Boise City, OK. This line went on to Clayton, NM with the grades still very much in evidence and I believe the old depot still exists in Clayton. From Clayton
Santa Fe had trackage rights over the C&S to
Mt. Dora and then built their own line southwesterly to a location named Farley, east of Springer 25 +/- miles.
Also, at Las Vegas Santa Fe had a short line northerly to Hot Springs (6 miles +/-) where the RR and Fred Harvey operated a resort hotel which ceased to be actractive for vacationers from the east after the line to Grand Canyon was built along with the El Tovar hotel at the canyons rim, all built by Santa Fe just after 1900.

A report would be appreciated after your trip as I expext to be in that area two times this year and would want to see anything of interest to a RR fan.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm told there used to be a railway nicknamed the Chile Line that connected Santa Fe with the narrow gauge lines in north NM running into CO. It's long gone but wouldn't it be wonderful for tourism if it still existed.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Wow, great info everyone! I'm printing all this to take with me ya know. 'Nuther question. Are there any blades left on the Raton sub? I know there were some around Watrous I think..
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a "blade?"
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
I drove I-25 last Sept. and there were still a few semiphore signals functioning between Springer and Watrous.

Answering the question " what are blades"
they are the arms of semiphore signals which move to indicate RED, YELLOW or GREEN to all who are operating on the track and also to maintenance people working on the RR. They also have a lens which indicates colors at night. This type of signal system is almost extinct because of the cost to maintain it
and because better systems have evolved.

panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
And what's fun about reading sites like this is I always learn something new.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the explanation, RRChina!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how I wish the Chili Line, and also the full Alamosa to Durango line still existed. The tourism for a San Juan remake would be incredible.

It's funny, to get to my family's cabin in Durango (by train) we take the Chief from Fullerton to Gallup or ABQ then rent a car for the trip to Durango. It could have been possible to go From Fullerton to Denver (Desert Wind/Cal Zephyr), Denver to Alamosa (Overnight Passenger train?), and then Alamosa to Durango (San Juan). What a trip that could have been

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
FURTHER INFO. THE "CHILI LINE" WAS DENVER AND RIO GRANDE'S LINE FROM ALAMOSA, CO TO SANTA FE, NM. THE DEPOT FROM THIS LINE STILL EXISTS IN SANTA FE AS A RESTAURANT. IT IS LOCATED WITHIN 200 FEET OF THE SANTA FE DEPOT THAT IS NOW OWNED BY THE SHORT LINE OPERATING BETWEEN LAMY AND SANTA FE.
ALSO, THERE WAS ANOTHER RR INTO SANTA FE, THE NEW MEXICO CENTRAL, WHICH REACHED SANTA FE FROM THE SOUTH, ORIGINATING IN WILLARD AND EXTENDING THROUGH ESTANCIA, MORIARTY, STANLEY AND CROSSING THE SANTA FE RAILROAD AT KENNEDY. IT WAS PURCHASED BY THE SANTA FE AND SOME OF THE NMC REAL ESTATE WAS STILL OPERATED BY SANTA FE PRIOR TO THE SALE TO THE SHORT LINE RR NOW OPERATING TO LAMY. THIS REAL ESTATE IS LOCATED WEST OF ST. FRANCIS STREET AND NORTHWEST FROM CERILLOS ROAD.

panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Yes, I've eaten in the restaurant that was the old depot. It's just a few blocks from downtown. A few years ago when they were excavating for a new bank a couple of blocks further out from town they found the remains of an old turntable - the circular pit with original stone walls. That whole side of town in Santa Fe must have been a big rail center in the early 1900s. Would have been an incredible sight. I've spent quite a lot of time up in Colorado driving my Jeeps over the old narrow gauge right of ways. Most of the great Jeep trails in Colorado and northern NM started out as railways. You can still find the remains of old narrow gauge lines back in those mountains. I've hiked into the old Hagerman Tunnel built by the CO & Midland and driven across Hells Gate where they would stop the trains and let passengers get off for the view. Beautiful country and a great loss that you can no longer ride trains on those routes.
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Man I am SO glad I posted this! All of this information is like gold to me being the lover of NM I am, not to mention the penchant I have for history. Some online research even found a website about ghost towns in the area so that was to be another attraction. Unfortunately, I can't get away from work right now so the trip will have to wait. GRR! Thanks to everyone though for the info, when I do go you can bet I'll be searching out some old lines. Panama, thanks for the pics!
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to follow up on the rental car thing I suggested using ABQ: I just made my res there thru Hertz using my Amtrak Guest Rewards CDP# and card and got a great deal -$127/week for intermediate (Mazdza 6) plus 50 Guest Reward points earned per day. Gonna get that free deluxe bedroom someday! Plus when you select the Amtrak Station as your rental location they pay the $15 for the cab fare to their airport location.

This has worked so quickly for me in the past I have been in my rental car traveling down I-25 alongside my train as it left ABQ. And we were draggin' skis with us. One week from today (to the hour) we will be actually getin' outa Dodge (if we are on time) on our way to AZ. Right now it looks like the weather will be warm and the snow deep.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozarksjoe
Member # 2200

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozarksjoe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My S.W. Chief page has links to pictures of Lamy and the other NM stops.
http://users.mo-net.com/nixit/AMTRAK.html

I'll be going Newton to Fullerton on the SWC probably in April.

Posts: 12 | From: southwest Missouri | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
I spent many summers in Newton visiting my grandparents. They were ATSF people and I still remmber time spent at the depot and the yards. Somewhere is a photo of me as a tiny kid on the roundtable there. Haven't been back in more than 20 years.
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICH,
There are some pics of semaphores along the SW Chief route on this page... http://www.trainweb.org/moksrail/trains/swchief/main_pic_page.htm

There are still plenty of blades left, as I've found on recent visits.. http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11468&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8388&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35192

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
I drove south on I-25 yesterday and saw some
semaphore signals still operating between Colmor (S. of Springer) and Wagon Mound.

There may be more to see if you get off the Interstate, which is a good idea any time, but I was in a hurry, again???

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Santa Fe Southern is a nice operation. I rode it three years ago. Bring your sunscreen and hang out in the open car for a great experience.

While there I asked one of their crew members if anyone had ever suggested that SFS schedule their train in order to provide connections with Amtrak at Lamy. Got the answer I expected; The idea has come up but it would wreck their lucrative excursion trade if they started hanging out in Lamy waiting on late Amtrak trains.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page