RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » crowded Sunset Limited?

Author Topic: crowded Sunset Limited?
Houstonia
Member # 3084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houstonia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

How crowded do the trains get on the Sunset Limited? What are my chances of getting a couple seats to myself? I'm leaving Monday night out of Houston, so I know the train will already have people on it.

thanks for any info.

Posts: 8 | From: Houston, Tx, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this time of year, you shouldn't have trouble finding a pair of vacancies --although some conductors will steer you to a specific seat nonetheless.

However, if the train arrives in Houston extremely behind schedule, the passengers already on board will have settled in for the night. That means you'll find snoring people sprawled everywhere, each taking up two seats for themselves. If you have trouble finding a suitable spot, ask the conductor.

Keep in mind, too, that you don't have to stay in your initial seat. Often, if you walk back through the train, you'll find a less populated car. And sometimes a more recently refurbished one.

If you switch seats, however, be sure to take the cardboard or paper "seat check" that the conductor placed on the luggage rack above your head when he/she took your ticket.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be noted that if u DO infact get settled into a seat, be it by choice or asigned, the car attendents have a lising of all the passengers in their coach, and when u chnage seats it screws up their booking system, so OK the move with them first, that way your acounted for. I wouldnt worry about the the train being too crowded, if your ging from Huston to LA, you will be put towards the back in one of the "LONG-HAUL" coaches for passengers traviling a distance. Where the first car after the Lounge is generaly a "SHORT-HAUL" coach and is used for passengers only traaveling for a few hours, IE: LAUPT to Santa Barbra, where long haul would be LAUPT to anything north of Sacaramento. Have fun on your trip, the sunset is a decent train, and there are some killer attendents on that route, best fo luck.

-Nick

Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody heading north of LAUPT to Sacramento is not only in the wrong coach, but on the wrong TRAIN! ;-)

If possible, try to get a pair of seats that are about either 1/3 or 2/3 of the way down the coach. That way the noise from the sliding end doors doesn't keep you awake, nor the light and foot traffic on the center stairs.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page