RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Did anyone ride the last FEC passenger train from Miami to JAX?

Author Topic: Did anyone ride the last FEC passenger train from Miami to JAX?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone ride the last passenger train on the FEC from Miami to Jacksonville, FL in 1964? I did and I think is was 3 passenger cars long. It, I think was in February, 1964. Do you remember ir? Also, when did the last local train from Miami to Orlando run which stopped in every stop on the way? It was composed of 3 passenger coaches sometimes with an observation car in the back and it ran on the Seaboard (CSX) tracks.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last FEC train to leave Miami was on 31 July 1968.

There was a work stoppage due to a strike in 1963-64; you may be remembering that.
Source: http://www.theadvocates.org/freeman/920506.html

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great article chatter, thanks!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a B&W photo of the last FEC train in the Miami station in 1968, if anyone is interested.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article. No date, but using the $93 million threshold for Class I roads, I'd say it dates from the late 1980s.

Of course, pretty much all railroads now run with two-man crews, and have greatly lengthened crew districts, eliminated cabooses, etc. But FEC did it first.

It's quite a railroad to look at: 132-lb. welded rail, concrete ties, CTC. It's a shame passenger trains no longer use it.

I rode my last train on the FEC in 1962, just before the strike. I was 10, but I remember well the long passenger trains and colorful diesels that came through town.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page