RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Cascades Breakfast

Author Topic: Amtrak Cascades Breakfast
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken the Seattle-Vancouver Cascades on a couple of occasions, however, I've never had breakfast in the dining car. Is anything on the breakfast menu *really* good, or is it just average fare?
Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French toast is excellent!
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone credits the ATSF for starting the french toast craze on trains. It's amazing that the french toast reports have outlived all the great old trains like the Super Chief, etc. I read somewhere that the ATSF cooks used to bake the french toast in the oven rather than cook it on a griddle. They also used lots of heavy cream and eggs in the mix.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That legendary French toast is surprisingly easy to make, there are just a couple of secrets. Start with thick bread, say 1" "Texas Toast" type, crusts trimmed and cut into triangles. Secret #1: Strain your eggs. Without the stringy stuff the toast comes out looking much more uniform and lighter. I've seen recipes with and without heavy cream so experiment a little. Your oil should be just deep enough to cover a little more than half the thickness of the bread. Use a light oil such as peanut for a crisper, lighter toast. Brown both sides to your liking and then - Secret #2: Place toast in 500 degree oven for 5-10 min, this will puff it up into that famous Harvey delicacy. Voila!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken that route several times, and I have always had some sort of pre-cooked scrambled eggs concoction. These trains don't have a proper kitchen so everything has been prepared in advance and heated on board. I don't recall french toast on their menu. Can you pre-heat this item?
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea, as I've never eaten in the dining car. Here's the menu:

All breakfast entrees include Woodring Orchards Northwest Fruit Compote and Essential Bakery's Petit Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin.

Breakfast Entrees

Cascades Omelet
Tillamook Cheddar Egg Omelet with Farmer-style Roasted Washington Potatoes and Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage. ~ $10.25

Orchard French Toast
Marionberry Cream Cheese stuffed French Toast With Warm Apple Topping & Marionberry Syrup Featuring Trailblazer Food’s local fruit products. ~ $9.25

Breakfast Berry Cobbler
A little bit naughty for breakfast! Granola Berry Cobbler served warm with Lemon Cream. ~ $8.75

Snoqualmie Falls Oatmeal
A Northwest favorite topped with Twin Peaks Honey poached Dried Fruits and Toasted Hazelnuts. ~ $8.75

Whistle Stop Continental
Reward Specialty Food’s Nutty Mountain Madness™ Granola and CascadeFresh® fat free, natural Fruit Yogurt. ~ $8.50

Kids All Ages
Eight Silver-Dollar Hot Cakes with Maple Syrup Served with Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage. ~ $8.50

Coffee, tea and juice are available to enjoy with your meal.

Recipes designed by: Kathy Casey Food Studios

Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French Toast stuffed with cream cheese! To die for and to die from. But still it sounds great.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page