RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pioneer Square Hotel

Author Topic: Pioneer Square Hotel
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying to choose a Seattle hotel for a two night stay. So many of you have suggested the Pioneer Square. My only concern is reading that the nieghborhood can be "seedy" and quite scarey at night. If the CS is late, and I am assuming it will be, will it still be safe to walk there in the wee hours? A cab isn't out of the question, but would prefer to walk. Also how much is the cab fare? Any suggestions would be apprieciated. Thanks.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Starlight is REALLY late I'd suggest a cab. I think this is prudent in any large city. I'd even do the same here in Santa Barbara.

When you're in Seattle try to get to any of the Ivar's locations for clams/salmon. I had a great lunch a week ago at Ivar's Salmon House on Lake Union. Wonderful views of floatplanes taking off and landing, the skyline and the Space Needle. Most (All?) locations also have a take-away or casual section as part of the operation.

By the way, I posted a review on "Hotels Near Stations for the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento two weeks ago and it still hasn't appeared. The site mentions a short lag between the time reviews are submitted and when they appear but I now wonder if I should resubmit.

The Vagabond was great. They are in the midst of a big renovation and we got an additional $5.00 off with a coupon from the AAA Guide Book and then got two more $5.00 coupons to use at other Vagabond locations.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have walked there no matter how late the Coast Starlight has been{4:30 AM once} with no problem. Try to stay clear of the park though as it is a homeless hang out.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto for Ivar's in Seattle. The location down on the wharf is right next to the ferry terminal. It's a great spot to dine and watch the boats come and go. I will be there week after next (going out on the Empire Builder on 3/16) and I'm saying on the opposite side of downtown from the station in a Best Western. I've always found lots of homeless people on the streets in Seattle, just as in San Francisco or other major west coast cities. Some of them can be aggressive but most don't bother you if you are walking. It's an easy walk downtown from the Union Square area to the Pike market and other locations. Of course, it's Seattle so be prepared for rain at some point in the trip.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info. Yes Chris I read your travelogs and you mentioned walking, that is what gave me the idea. There will be four of us, my Husband and both my Sons are well over six feet so it's safer in crowds. We often go to Toronto where there are many street people and have walked around late at night with no problem. We will be wheeling our luggage though and will probably stand out as tourists. As for Ivar's, my son has been there before and has said it is a must do again. Panama, I read somewhere that NY gets more rain than Seattle.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are correct Sammy NY does get more rain
Seattle has more overcast

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the description of your family, I think you'd be fine walking to the Pioneer Square especially if you have wheels on your bags.

When is your trip, Sammy? If it's in late Spring or Summer the weather in Seattle can be just stunning. Warm and clear with great views of the Cascades and Olympics.

One other thing I'd suggest is taking a couple of ferry rides. You get great views of the skyline and it's great to get out on the water. Follow it up with a meal at "Ivar's Acres of Clams" (The original location, I believe) next to the Ferry Terminal.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sammy:
So many of you have suggested the Pioneer Square.

Sammy, I, too, read some recommendations on this site of that hotel and considered staying there last July-Aug.

However, I did some Inet research and discovered too many bad reviews of that hotel...enough to make me change my mind.

Seattle has a great citybus system, and plenty of cabs, which influenced my decision to select a nicer hotel.

I came inbound on a Cascades and outbound on the Empire Builder. I rode citybuses to and from my selected hotel and King Street Station, easily.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chief - I can't imagine a "bad review" of Pioneer Square Hotel -- I have stayed there a couple times, and it is very nice. Of course, it's not the Conrad Hilton.......

Sammy - cab fare to Pioneer Square from King St Station is $4-5, IF the cabbie takes you there directly and doesn't pretend he doesn't know where it is (like happened to me once!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
I've had a problem with cab drivers before. Once in Atlantic City, the driver started to take the long way but I knew the area and told him to knock it off.
We will be in Seattle April 15-17. This will be the first time on CS & EB. Last October we took the CZ and thought it was worth doing again. My boys have never been on a train and I know they are going to love it! When "ROOMSERVICE" is back from his trip I would like to hear about the Warwick Hotel. They have a guest laundry and free shuttle, the laundry part is very important. In Reno last year we gave our dirty clothes a Jacuzzi and hung them in the room to dry. I just don't want to take a cab to the laundry when I could be siteseeing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page