RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight Scenery

Author Topic: Coast Starlight Scenery
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always taken the Coast Starlight northbound when travelling between San Fransisco and Seattle, however, in late May, I am thinking about taking this train southbound. I will have a friend with me who has never taken Amtrak before. How much of the Cascades would be missed in if we took the Coast Starlight southbound? We would get some extra daylight hours in May, but UP delays could mess that up. I can't recall when the good Oregon scenery begins - north of Klamath Falls? We would be picking up the Coast Starlight in Portland, more than likely.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've traveled the Starlight in late May, and had good daylight viewing of the Cascades most of the way to the summit. Even farther if the train is on time. The good scenery begins soon after Eugene, and as the sun slowly settles down, it makes for some great lighting on those mountains. Unless of course, Oregon's infamous rain clouds things up.

For most of the trip, the best viewing is on the left side of the train, except for the five mile switchback just south of Oakridge when the view is on the right.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page