RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » More Empire Builder/Seattle questions

Author Topic: More Empire Builder/Seattle questions
summer04
Member # 3086

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for summer04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of weeks ago I posted with some questions about the Empire Builder and Glacier Park. I wanted to thank everyone who responded. It was really helpful-and we decided to stay at Glacier Park for more than one day!
Now I have some questions about arriving in Seattle. Is there a car rental place by the train station? Can anyone recommend a good hotel either near the depot or in downtown Seattle? We're looking for a moderately priced hotel.
And one last question (for now anyway ) On the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, which side of the train has the better views?
Thanks again for all of your help. I've been reading this message board everyday and I'm getting a lot of great information! I can't wait for my trip!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to which side of the EB Westbound has better views:
along the Mississippi: right (when facing the engine) from LaCrosse until you cross the river just before MSP

for Glacier Park scenery: left until you cross the Flathead River, then right.
(Isaak Walton Inn would be on the right.
Marker at Marias Pass on the left)

along Puget Sound: right

Just my opinion. Interesting scenery on the west side of Cutbank on the left (I didn't know about that in advance, so I have no pictures)

Bring binoculars - never know what you might see.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI I just posted my Empire builder travelogue on www.amtraktrains.com
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Panama, Thanks for the trip posting - good reading. I also had a great crew on a recent trip on the SWC - John Lyttle and Kathy Busch.

I had planned to do a BOS-SEA-BOS last Jan. but never got away. Now scheduled for 4/20-26 so your report was most timely!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as to which side of the train to sit on, I was told that Amtrak could use the car in either direction, so difficult to plan. I spent almost all my time in the lounge car so didn't matter
In Seattle, we stayed downtown at the Travelodge. Fine, and a $5 cab ride from the train station. Area is fine but I don't remember seeing rental places down near the station. I'd get situated at the hotel and then ask them for the nearest Budget Office.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as to which side of the train to sit on, I was told that Amtrak could use the car in either direction, so difficult to plan. I spent almost all my time in the lounge car so didn't matter
In Seattle, we stayed downtown at the Travelodge. Fine, and a $5 cab ride from the train station. Area is fine but I don't remember seeing rental places down near the station. I'd get situated at the hotel and then ask them for the nearest Budget Office.
Make sure you see Pikes Market in Seattle; it's great!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.warwickhotel.com/

FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfun
Member # 3141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's not a lot of either in the Pioneer Square/King St. Station area (rental cars/decent cheap hotels). However, just north of downtown are several of both, and that's a 5-10 minute cab ride.

I would suggest trying Expedia.com for both the hotel and car. (use the search near an address feature) Thrifty does have an office on Alaskan Way (waterfront), about 6 blocks away.

I don't know your definition of "moderately priced", but if distance is important, I would suggest the Best Western in Pioneer Square. (about $110-150/night) It's about 6 blocks from the station, and it's nice (3 stars).

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by jfun (edited 03-23-2004).]

Posts: 6 | From: Enumclaw, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page