RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Remember hostesses on Amtrak silver service trains to Florida?

Author Topic: Remember hostesses on Amtrak silver service trains to Florida?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember the lovely hostesses on the Amtrak silver service trains from New York to Miami and Tampa? They were great. I met one of my fiancee's that way. They would give a fashion show, hold Bingo games, play with the kids, etc. all in the club cars. What a shame that it's no more. They originally were on the payroll of the Seabord Railroad.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the Zephyrettes on the old CZ.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realize Seaboard's famous hostesses lasted into the Amtrak era. When did they last ride?
Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also the "Stewardess-Nurse Service" on the Northern Pacific. They wore airline-like uniforms and caps. In the radio/tv ads they would say "Here comes Sue, the Stewardess-Nurse! Whaddya say Sue?" I was too young to pick up any fiancees though.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been riding AMTRAK almost since its beginnings back in the early 70's, and I don't remember the hostesses on Silver Service. Of course I didn't ride the Silver Service trains much back then, since I was living in Michigan and not Florida, where I am now.

I do remember one trip on one of the Silver Service trains, where I seem to recall they had a "coach" diner and a separate "first class" diner -- I believe the "coach" diner was a "lunch-buffet" car, where you sat at a long table, kind of like in an old-fashioned country diner, with the servers behind the counter. I also believe they may have had a piano player on one of those trains...????

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the last hostesses on Amtrak silver service trains were in 1973. My then fiancee Teresa (an Amtrak hostess) worked last when let-go, I think, in late 1973. They wore red stewardess-like uniforms. She then took a job with Delta Airlines as a stewardess.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page