RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Baggage Check on Crescent or stowage space

Author Topic: Baggage Check on Crescent or stowage space
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH! I forgot...last time I went on Sunset there was no baggage check.
Does anyone know on Viewliner/Crescent: Is there place to stow baggage? We prefer NOT to check baggage in NOL as it takes so long to get upon arrival in NYC.
So my question is: is there room for 4 bags n Viewliner sleeper area?

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viewliner standard sleeper has a "hole" at the level of the upper bunk for luggage storage. Not sure exactly how big, but a 26" rolling suitcase fit in there on my last trip. There is no closet - just a hook for a couple hangers. Bunks are narrower at the foot end to allow for the WC in the room, so you have no choice which way to put your head. In my experience, the track has been rough enough (on the LSL) to wish I had a "seat belt" to use while sleeping on the lower bunk (upper has a web-like thing). On my last trip in February, I swear my whole queen-size body went up in the air at one point. Ugh!
Deluxe sleeper is a about the same size as the superliner deluxe (if my limited experience & memory serves me right).
There is no common storage area for luggage in a viewliner sleeper like the shelves in the vestibule of a superliner.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakfan
Member # 3114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a limit on the amount of baggage that can be carried on to Amtrak trains and there certainly is not enough room for 4 bags in the Viewliner sleepers. Check your bags and after the trip from New Orleans to New York, you should welcome a few moments of standing and waiting for your bags, while you stretch and get your land legs back.
Posts: 3 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viewliner rooms have plenty of space, if you pack right. One bag under each seat, two bags in the stowaway space across from the upper bunk (these will have to be small - no larger than a computer case each) and a garment bag can be hung. (That's FIVE.) The bags under the seats will NOT be accessible when the bed is made up because of all of the supports for the bed, though. And they have to be smaller than full size - rule of thumb: if it will fit under an airliner seat, it will fit under a Viewliner seat. So those popular "rollaway" bags will work.
If you are in a Deluxe room, you also have space above the toilet/shower compartment as well. But you lose some space (very little) under the seat since this is where they stow the foldaway chair in the room. We've had two adults and three small children, plus bags and carseat in a Viewliner Deluxe room with nothing stored on the seat or on the floor.
Try THAT in a Superliner!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page