RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Terrorist Threats - Our Responsibility as Passengers

Author Topic: Terrorist Threats - Our Responsibility as Passengers
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to the tragic terrorist attack in Spain involving their passenger rail system, and with the continued threat of terrorism including our rail system in the USA, we railfans, passengers, rail photographers, etc., need to be more aware of our responsibilites to keeping our rails safe.
Recent reports indicate that the Amtrak Police will be more visible on the trains.
Conductors, station & train personnel should become more vigilant.
The last layer of defense is us, the passengers. Obviously, there are more passengers compared to all Amtrak staff combined.
It is now more important then ever, that all passengers become more vigilant in our observations in & around train stations, parking lots, and onboard trains of suspicious passengers, packages, backpacks, vehicles, etc., and report our observations immediately.
Let's take our new found responsibility seriously, Amtrak staff cannot do it alone, they need our help to continue to make train travel safe and enjoyable for everyone.
As a reminder, please do not discuss any potential Amtrak security weaknesses on this board. Terrorist use the internet to gain knowledge and this web site needs to be protected. Thank you.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You CK for reminding us of your responsiblity as passengers. Me and my crew cannot watch everyone and everything at all times. We have been on the vigulant ever since 9/11 but we do have a train to run which keeps very busy. I know it looks like all we do is sit around and talk to the passengers but trust me we have one ear tuned to the radio and one ear to the passenger. We are also trying to be polite and make it look like we are listening to every word you say, we truthly have our brain's going in overdrive trying to make sure we don't miss anything.

As Mr. CK said, Do not ever mention any weaknesses you might happen to see on the Internet, about Amtrak or anyother RR. Bring it to the Conductor's attention and we will investigate and try our best to make improvements.

Good Job CK, and thanks again for the reminder.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Homeland security requres the vigilance of every citizen. This applies to everything, not just Amtrak.

In airports they make announcements about unattended packages, etc. It might be helpful if Amtrak were to publish a brochure along these lines to help passengers know what to look for and how to report suspicious activity. It might include the 800 number for Amtrak police so people can use their cell phones to report problems.

On a related note, does the Amtrak police get any funding from Homeland Security, or is Amtrak expected to pay for security out of its meager subsidy and ticket revenue?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 03-14-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYRailFan
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYRailFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are absolutely right - rail passengers must keep an eye out for suspicious or unusual behavior. Thank you for this post.
Posts: 26 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you CK, and also, what are the chances that this could hurt Amtrak, poeple might want to fly again, and the Media dosent help, to the news its just another story to make money.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page