RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Which surfliners use the old equipment?

Author Topic: Which surfliners use the old equipment?
hurleyjp13
Member # 2167

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for hurleyjp13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the old equipment on the Surfliner route used on the same trains everyday or does it rotate around? If it is on the same trains or there is some pattern what trains use th old equipment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to travel on the Surfliner soon and wanted to be sure as I could (I know its never a guarantee) that I would get the new bi-level equipment.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what i understand, the surfliners use the bi-level equipment all the time, some trains may have a SUperliner in the mix because of a car that is out of service, but they are all bi-level. The Horizon Amcan set is only used over the holiday Season as the trains are longer and the surfliner cars are alredy in use, so the horizons are pushed into service, as i understand it all the Horizon stuff is up here in SF for the Reno Fun/Ski Train. Hope that helped

-Nick

Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was out to the West Coast last - spring 2003 - there were still a couple of Surfliner trains using Amfleet equipment. I don't know which specific trains. Not sure if this has changed or not since then.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch SurfLinners all the time at Fullorton,, Sorry to say, they no longer use old Equipment, When they first started using the F59PHI and the Bombardier SurfLinner Coach on the San Diego line, you might have seen a couple of SurfLinners with old Equipment and an F59PHI leading it,
But now they have all Bombardier SurfLinner Coaches and a SupperLinner here or there.

No Amfleets

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Surfliners are built by Alstom not Bombardier. They make the Metrolinks though.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The horizons (and dome) are used in special holiday service in the Pacific Northwest and Reno Fun/Ski trains. When not in use they are ferried back to LA. The 8 surfliner sets are "normally" all new equipment, and all sets rotate thru a variety of assignments (none repeat from one day to the next). The horizons are placed in service on heavy traffic days and/or if needed for an emergency. There is a planned new train that was to start in April and it has been pushed back to summer. It will be horizon/dome in "captive" service leaving LA every morning to SLO and returning to LA that evening (cross platform transfer to regular Surfliner equipment for connections to San Diego)
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they were built by Alstom, they why do they say "Bombadeir" in them?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bombardier*

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you see Bombardier on Surfliners? Being on them 5 days a week I always see Alstom on the inside builders plate.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurleyjp13
Member # 2167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurleyjp13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for your replies. I rode the Surfliner on Thursday to San Diego and back and had a great time. Rode on the new equipment just like I had wanted.

In regards to wether they were built by Bombardier or Alstom, while I was onboard I saw a building plate stating that all the Surfliners were built by Alstom.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, I was thinking of Supperlinners!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
The 1st "Supperlinners" (sic) were built by Budd & the 2nd ones by Bombardier.
hurleyjp13
Member # 2167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurleyjp13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cajon:
The 1st "Supperlinners" (sic) were built by Budd & the 2nd ones by Bombardier.

Actually, I beleive that the first Superliners were the last order for Pullman, not Budd. Budd's last order. if I remember correctly, was the Amfleet cars.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page