RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » South West Chief's SupperLinners

Author Topic: South West Chief's SupperLinners
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,, As I've said before about my upcoming trip, I need some info on the Chief's consist, I have a niece, and shes afraid, well, nervous is more like it,, she has the same "nervousness" that you get when you think about flying (if you hate flying, and Train travel is 10 times better anyway ),, Back to my point,
Anyone here know what consist are currently running on the Chief?
( SupperLinner numbers)
I told her that I'd try to find out the history of the Train we'll be ridding,

If anyone who works for the Amtrak or knows anything related to my question, Then please post Car numbers(I have the SupperLinner records printed) , consist details,ect.

---

-Thank You-

---

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyberspace
Member # 3130

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for cyberspace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i think you a wierd for not like flying i think it is better than the train because it is faster and funner. Besides you would really have to be wierd for being scared of going on a trian.
Posts: 4 | From: Diamond Bar, Ca, Usa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my neice is only 8, so she has every right to be nervous, And if you look around, this is a board for RailFans and Rail Inthusiust, so if you like planes, you should keep walking

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way,, your name is "cyberspace",, who's the wierd one

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

cyberspace
Member # 3130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cyberspace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be talking if i were you my 4 year old sister is braver than you little niece. And so what about my name you don't even know what cyberspace is. I never said i didn't like to take the train i just fly a lot more so what would you expect. An at least i don't have a IQ of 1.
Posts: 4 | From: Diamond Bar, Ca, Usa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My IM is Jonatthonjb3,,

DONT call my neice "little"

She is *easly* braver than your sisy

cyberspace
Member # 3130

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for cyberspace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats wrong they wont let you on the plane because you were over the weight limit? HAHA!
cyberspace
Member # 3130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cyberspace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
than why is she afraid to go on the train? An she is little because she is 8. No your I.Q. Can't be 3 that would make you a jeanous which you are not. you are more like a .5
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I do not know the specifics on the Southwest Chief's consist I will share this - The Capitol Limited, whose equipment is also used on the Southwest Chief, has been running some trainsets with Superliner II equipment. For example, on my recent trip on the Capitol (few weeks ago) we had all Superliner II sleepers (Kansas and Montana I believe), two Superliner II coaches, a new (or renovated) diner, but an older Sightseer Lounge and one older Superliner Coach. Not sure if this will continue or what the variety is on the other Capitol/Southwest Chief trainsets.

Last year, the Southwest Chief was running mostly with Superliner I's - some renovated and some not. The Sightseer Lounge and Diner was a toss up - new or old. At one time you could count on one of the sleeper's being a Superliner II. Probably the luck of the draw on what your trainset mix will be.

Course you can count on at least two sleepers, one diner, one sightseer lounge, and about three coaches. On Day 2 aboard the Southwest Chief, spend most of it in the Sightseer Lounge. Day 2 has the best scenery.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
You DONT know me, and IF you werent such a wuss you'd leave my niece out of it and stop pulling family into this
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS IS SO IMATURE!

Cyberspace...Dont be a jerk now..Why join a Train forum to insult trains??

PS. Jonathan you have to know how to spell SUPERLINER not SUPERLINNER lol no ofense!

PEACE EVERYONE and...

HAPPY ST. PATTY's DAY

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reminded of a scene in Sister Act. The guys in the bar say, "If this turns into a nun bar, I'm not coming back."

Ponder and discuss.

And take this discussion to some teen spelling optional forum.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unfortunately there is no way of knowing what your trainset will be. I know, as I want to always know what my trainset will be before my trip.

As far as the Southewest Chief consist goes, it is somewhat predictable but always has a surprise or two in the consists. But for several years now there has been one Superliner II sleeper and one Superliner I sleeper as the most common lashup. However I've been on the Chief with 2 II's and 2 I's so it is still a toss up.

I have several consists of the Chief I've been on but it probably wont help you as the cars seem to get swapped here and there.

But be sure to take down the car numbers as soon as you board, that way you'll know the history of the cars, if any, from the list you have.

On my latest trip, I was in the Maryland and this car was involved in a minor wreck on the Southwest Chief in 1997. Interestingly it was missing the state name on one of the upstairs vestibule doors. Most likely had to get a new door and lost it's original with the name.

(Speaking of the Chief I hear it outside my window, must be at the Imperial Highway crossing, man is she late tonight! Unless it's a Norfolk Southern lead freight again, I've fallen for it's Amtrak like horn once before. My guess though is it was the Chief, just extremely late for the eastbound #4)

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 03-17-2004).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to Southwest chief... What's the difference between the Superliner I and II's??

I'm going on the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago (shouldn't it be called the Northeast Chief?) in June and have a standard sleeper booked.

to Jonathon... Why is your niece "nervous" about train travel? How could knowing what the consist is help?

I remember as a kid always being excited about new forms of travel and now going on 40 I still am!!

I tell my niece to look at her mum/dad or even me and if we are not scared then she has no reason to be scared herself it works for her.

And finally to cyberspace... you say flying is better because it is faster, that's not exactly rocket science is it? Speed has never been the allure of train travel. In fact its the opposite. In an aeroplane you never get to see the country flying at who knows how many miles high and at 000's of MPH's. In a train you get to see and experience things you never will in a plane... train travel is still about the journey itself not just the destination.

You don't need to be weird to be scared of going on a train either. Just check the news about Spain for an example..

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to JP1822

You say Day 2 has the best scenery as I'm doing ths trip in June do you mean day 2 out of LA or Chicago?

Also to all here: what is the total (barring hold-ups) time that the trip takes? I know it goes over date-lines and the clocks need to be changed but what is the physical amount of real time the train should take from LA to Chicago?

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You say Day 2 has the best scenery as I'm doing ths trip in June do you mean day 2 out of LA or Chicago?"

From either direction, Day 2 is the best - crosses the same scenery on Day 2 whether going east or westbound. This is when you are in the heart of the Southwest - Arizona, New Mexico.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Superliner I is from the original order made by Pullman dating from late 70's and early 80's. Superliner II's are the newest in the fleet made by Bombardier in 1994.

Do a search online, or even here at Trainweb, and there should be some more info, like the differences between the two.

The name of the Southwest Chief is actually more complicated than most of Amtrak's trains. Originally when Amtrak took over for the Santa Fe, Amtrak was allowed to continue to use the name Super Chief. And for a while there really wasn't much difference between the Santa fe Super Chief and the Amtrak Super Chief as the trains used the same equipment. But when Amtrak decided to cut some cars from the consist, especially the dining service, Santa Fe beleived that service would not be of a level to keep with the image of Santa Fe's Super Chief and they took the name back( the short lived Amtrak Texas Chief also lost its name as well). Thus Amtrak had to rename the train, hence the Southwest Limited (and Lone Star).

Only after the Limited received Superliners in the early to mid 80's, did service improve enough that Santa Fe once again allowed Amtrak to use the Chief name, thus the Southwest Chief was born. The direction the train travels had nothing to do with why Southwest was chosen. The main feature and scenery of the line was the southwest, and that's why it's called the Southwest Chief.

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 03-18-2004).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks for your replies... I will keep an eye out to see if I'm on Superliner I or II's when I do my trips in June.

Also will be prepared to take loads of photos/video of the trip on all days...

I'm sure I can't get any more wound up about this trip if I wanted to!!! LOL

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cyberspace:
An at least i don't have a IQ of 1.

Its hard to tell from the way he types.
Sorry gotta stick up for the J man

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Uncle B,,

"cyberspace" what a nerd name

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do not feed the trolls
Grow up or move on!

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im with the colt.

Boyishcolt!

------------------
--Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, sorry, back to the topic, I'll wacth for the numbers of my Train,,

And I allready know about my spelling, so please dont remind me.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member

------------------
--Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Greg16
Member # 3096

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I just took the SW Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff leaving Chicago on March 14. The consist was as follows:
GE engines 193, 185, 81
baggage car 1854
transition car 39009
sleepers 32038 and 32078
diner 38046
sight seer lounge 33025
coach 34113 and 31513
coach/baggage 31026
coach 31543
7 express box cars
9 semi trailers

Train left Chicago at 4pm and arrived Flagstaff at 10:30pm th following night. Time change gains one hour so total travel time was 30.5 hours.

Second day from Chicago is the best while traveling over Raton. This time of year it gets dark around Galesburg.

Upgrade to a Deluxe sleeper.

Have more info on food and other notes if interested.

Greg

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
This is tonight's #4
S=Sleeper
D=Dinner
C=Coach
TS=Transition Sleeper

Baggage Car:1234

C34059
C31519
C34079
C33000
D38032
S32047
S32026
TS39005

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
The car you have listed as C33000, is actually a Lounge, and not a coach.

The entire consist, except the transition (and baggage of course) are all Superliner I's.

Sleeper 32026, has been refurbished and has the interesting ribed wall paneling.

Fairly typical consist for #4, with two sleepers and three coaches. The only thing that is a bit unusual is the location of the smoking coach (31519), as it usually is closest to the lounge. But other than that, very typical.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page