RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ABQ - VAC and back

Author Topic: ABQ - VAC and back
sci_guy
Member # 3124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sci_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all of the pieces are finally in place. My wife and I are going to travel from Albuquerque, NM. to Vancouver, BC. and back around the end of May. I arranged the tickets so that we would have a 1 day layover in LA on the outbound leg. I have been trying to keep track of the arrival time of the Southwest Chief into LA. The range is from 30 minutes late to 4 hours and 50 minutes late. Taking the advice I've seen posted here I gave ourselves that 1 day layover. I have booked rooms at the Days Inn Downtown LA for the layover both directions. We have a Superliner Bedroom for the trip to Seattle and back. I realize they are small, but being newly married we should be able to cope. We will spend 3 nights in Seattle and the go on to Vancouver on the train. In Seattle I have a room booked at a Travelodge in North Edmonds. The rate difference between downtown and the suburbs caused me to pick that motel. It looks like Seattle has a good mass transit system ans getting downtown and back from there doesn't look too difficult. We will spend 3 nights in Vancouver and then take the bus back to Seattle for the same day connection to LA. In Vancouver I've booked rooms at the Lion's Gate Travelodge.

Have I forgotten anything?

What should the cab fare be from the station to North Edmonds?

Can anyone comment on these motels?

Are the mass transit systems in Seattle and Vancouver as good as they look on their web pages?

Does anyone have dining recommendations in Seattle and Vancouver?

This forum is a great source of info and thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

[This message has been edited by sci_guy (edited 03-20-2004).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not really necessary to lay over on #3 to #14. Probably on time or early 90% of the time, and when late they bus from San Bernardino or even Barstow (if REALLY late). #1 to #14 is the "forget it" connection.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the whole, Days Inn and Travelodge are okay, but basic. I don't know what you're paying for your rooms, but both chains have gotten more expensive in recent years.

For the same money (or even less), you can probably get a much nicer, more centrally located hotel by bidding on Priceline.

Check out the following independent web site. It's where Priceline users post their most recent successful bids.

www.biddingfortravel.com

Scroll down and check out the Los Angeles, Seattle, and Vancouver pages in the "hotels" section. Currently, some travelers are getting 3 star -- and even 4 star -- downtown hotels in those cities for roughly $50 per night (although the prices slowly rise toward summer)

Then, if you want to give the bidding thing a whirl, go to:

www.priceline.com

I've used it for every trip I've taken during the last 5 years. It works.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downtown Seattle to Edmonds is an expensive cab fare!!!
I believe there is a commuter rail service
between the two but you may wish to re-think
your accomodations in Seattle- Edmonds

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unless you've paid some nonrefundable fare for the Travelodge, I'd either pay a bit more and stay downtown (I was there) or do the Priceline thing.

I walked everywhere in Seattle but the buses are fine. Be sure to spend time (I spent a whole day) in Pike's Market. Lots of little restaurants, coffee shops, shops, etc. My wife could have spent a week there! Not much else in Seattle, in my opinion. I'd limit my stay to TWO nights and spend the extra time in Vancouver, during which time you could take a ferry over to Victoria (wonderful!).
Vancouver, the wonderful Granville Island Market! Nice city just to walk around in. Stanley Park is great. But it would be nice to go over to Victoria, The ferry ride over is pretty and Victoria itself, while a bit touristy, is quaint, sort of a European charm. Sort of
Enjoy

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really must spend a day in the LA area, you might think about taking one of the surfliners up to Santa Barbara or one of the coastal towns northwest of LA, spend a night there, and catch one of the morning trains back to LA.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sci_guy - the AMTRAK Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver make a stop in Edmonds, so if you go from Seattle to Edmonds the night you arrive, there is no need to go back downtown to King Street Station the next day to catch the train to Vancouver. You can catch that train at Edmonds.

Unfortunately, there is no connecting Cascade train between #14 and Vancouver -- all there is is a bus connection, but that bus connection does not stop in Edmonds.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sci_guy
Member # 3124

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sci_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pismobum, I was just trying to ensure that we would get to see all of the lovely coast north of LA.

Dilly, Thanks for the advice on priceline. I'll remeber that the next time I'm planning a trip. I'm already locked in to these reservations now.

RRCHINA, It looks like there is bus service from downtown to within a block of the motel.

sutton, We've never been to Seattle and we really only have two days there with the late arrival of the CS and the early morning departure to Vancouver. I'm sure we'll be able to stay busy.

mikesmith, we were thinking about going to see a baseball game in anaheim, but I'm having a hard time finding transportation. The light rail system only makes the San Bernardino on Sundays. Any ideas?

RRRICH, Thanks for the tip about the Cascade. I hadn't noticed that. This will allow us to sleep in a few more minutes before catching the train to Vancouver.

I'd like to thank everybody for their advice. This forum is a great resource.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Seattle off the Starlight I would stay at either the Kings Inn{they have an Amtrak rate}or the 6th Avenue Inn. Both are listed under hotels in my web site. Since the Starlight arrives late, I would stay at one of these two. Both are close to downtown attractions and near the Monorail south station. They are both low prices and about a 5 dollar taxi ride from King Street Station unless the Marineers let out and then your on the meter. The morning you leave
give yourself an hour to the station to get Puget Sound side seats.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Have a wonderrful trip.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed at the King's Inn about two years ago. Every other place in town was booked solid because of a Mariners baseball game -- and even Priceline wasn't coming up with anything.

The location is fine, and I'm not fussy when it comes to hotels. But the King's Inn (which is really a motel) wasn't particularly cheap and has definitely seen better days. My room was a borderline dump.

As long as the Mariners aren't in town, you can do much better on Priceline.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Anaheim stadium a scheduled stop on the surfliner route. I vaguely remember seeing the stadium on our way to San Diego last year...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sci_guy and Mike Smith - yes, the Anaheim AMTRAK/Metrolink station is right at the stadium. There are several Surfliners you can catch from L.A. which will take you right to the stadium.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sci_guy, I'm not sure of your exact dates in LA but Dodger Stadium is closer to LAUS, although, no train service is available. The Dodgers are home May 28-31. The Angels are home May 18-23 and as others have mentioned, there is direct train service to the Park.
Have a good trip.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
Isn't Anaheim stadium a scheduled stop on the surfliner route. I vaguely remember seeing the stadium on our way to San Diego last year...

The only problem is that Amtrak's L.A.-to-Anaheim schedules weren't really set up to coincide with the usual 7:05 P.M. starting time for Angels games. The schedules to Anaheim aren't too bad, but getting back to L.A....well, on Monday through Thursday night, the last train is at 10:18 P.M., so you probably wouldn't be able to stay for extra innings; on Friday and Saturday, there are trains at 9:48 and 11:15, so unless the game is unusually short (or unusually long), you'll probably be spending quite a bit of time waiting at the train station. Sunday is even more complicated, since games can either start at 1:05 or 5:05.

By the way, there is express bus service between L.A. Union Station to Dodger Stadium...but it only runs for Friday night games, when (in theory) the combination of rush-hour traffic plus game traffic would be worst. The Dodgers love the money they make off the parking fee (which they raised $2.00 for this season).

[This message has been edited by trainman1 (edited 03-23-2004).]

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfun
Member # 3141

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jfun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mentioned you were locked in with the reservations, but I was wondering if you can get into another Travelodge? The reason I ask is that there is one in the downtown Seattle area, and another on Mercer Island, which is only a few miles east (less than 5) on I-90. That cab fare (as previously stated) to Edmonds is going to be $$$.

Just a thought!

[This message has been edited by jfun (edited 03-23-2004).]

Posts: 6 | From: Enumclaw, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page