RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Which parts of the CZ are the scenic parts

Author Topic: Which parts of the CZ are the scenic parts
hurleyjp13
Member # 2167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurleyjp13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What parts of the California Zephyr Route are the most scenic? I'm especially interested in the day between Salt Lake and Denver (I'm planning on traveling eastbound) but I'm also interested on the first day from Emeryville to Reno. Between which stations is there the most scenery? Any help would be appreciated
Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RHerndon
Member # 3072

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RHerndon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip into Reno (Truckee area) is not bad. Reno isn't so hot but you can see Sparks from there! You won't miss much heading into SLC so traveling at night isn't so bad. When the sun rises (around Provo) more scenery is on the way as you experience a lot of switchbacks through the mountains of Utah. More desert but some interesting formations on the way to Grand Junction. From there you will see a lot of the Colorado River, Glenwood Canyon after Glenwood Springs and some beautiful mountains as you cross the Rockies into Denver. Prairies from there on.

Have a fun trip!

------------------
Tige

Posts: 6 | From: Paonia, CO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed it all, except the night parts, of course Fortunately, it goes through the dullest places, including Nebraska, at night. I loved going into Denver. Through the mountains, it was great.
Have fun!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J.P. - when will you be making this trip? Remember that the line between SLC and Denver will be closed for several weeks this spring during the Moffatt Tunnel repairs -- see another string on this forum for the weeks that the CZ will be rerouted through Wyoming.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurleyjp13
Member # 2167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurleyjp13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have heard about the Moffat Tunnel and the reroute. For that reason and for others, I probably won't be doing this trip until late summer, maybe August. Thanks for all for your replies. It really helps.

[This message has been edited by hurleyjp13 (edited 03-21-2004).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dutchamtrakfan
Member # 3000

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dutchamtrakfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a european from a very populated country it was very relaxing to see the deserts of nevada and other wide open spaces along other amtrak-routes. So it depends also on what you are used to. In general from Provo to Denver is beautiful to everyones taste
Posts: 8 | From: netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For pictures of the eastbound trip, look at my story with the link below.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Spring2003.html

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scenery from Sacramento to Reno (over the Sierra Nevada Range) and Denver to Helper/Grand Junction (Rocky Mountains/Colorado River) is the best scenery in my opinion. Hopefully your train won't be too late coming in to Denver - as it's a pretty neat ride descending out of the mountains. At least in late summer you will get sunlight until 8 p.m. or so. This will help for the eastbound trip. I have done westbound (even November once!) and eastbound on the CA Zephyr and have never been disappointed. Thankfully my train wasn't too late in either direction.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even in the dark, the descent out of the Rocky Mts. into Denver is spectacular! As you look down onto the lights of Denver, they sway back and forth as the train rounds the curves and they get closer and closer as if you were landing in an airplane. A great trip!
-Coachclass www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click on the CZ link and you'll see some great trackside and train-level pix.
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakphotos/

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page