RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Personal Belongings Security

Author Topic: Personal Belongings Security
jfun
Member # 3141

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jfun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're taking the Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA soon, and I had a question about leaving items in your room. (We'll be in a standard sleeper) I would like to take some electronic items along (laptop, MP3 player), but should I haul these items along with me when we eat or go to the lounge car? Would I be better off checking these items? I do need to bring the laptop for work when we get to LA. Basically, I'm trying to find out what people's experience have been with personal item security in sleepers. Thanks for your comments!
Posts: 6 | From: Enumclaw, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Others have asked the same question, so I'll repost an answer I gave a few months ago.

Here goes. . . .

Thefts aren't common on Amtrak trains, but they're not completely unheard of, particularly late at night in the coaches.

Even when you're traveling in a sleeping car, it's smart to hide (or, better yet, take with you) any valuables -- camera, cell phone, Discman, etc. -- whenever you leave the compartment for any longer than it takes to use the toilet.

Always keep your wallet with you. And always pull the large curtain across the compartment's entrance before closing the sliding door, too.

While some car attendants are good about keeping an eye out for anyone who doesn't belong, other car attendants have a tendency to get "distracted." Depending on where your sleeper is located in the train, you may also have crew members and passengers from other cars passing your door.

I'm not trying to induce paranoia in any new travelers out there. But valuables can and do "disappear" wherever strangers mingle -- on airliners, cruise ships, and even Amtrak trains. Just use common sense.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My list of toys that I keep in our room is long and expensive. (laptop, 2 digital cameras, a video camera, GPS, backup memory sticks, multiple rechargable batteries, & cell phone. I'm adding a scanner, this year.) I also carry about $2500 worth of paintball gear that I keep in the luggage rack downstairs.

When we go to the diner or the observation lounge, I close the curtain and shut the door to our sleeper. The only time I was in coach (bad-ordered sleeper), I kept most of my toys in the luggage rack downstairs.

With some minor precautions, you should have no problems at all...

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my trips, I don't spend much time in my sleeper room, as I am in the lounge most of the day. Like others have said, close your door and pull the curtain when you're gone, and you shouldn't have any problems. I have never had anything stolen from my room, but use common sense.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfun
Member # 3141

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jfun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments! As always, common sense makes perfect sense. We'll be in room #12 on the way to LA and #4 on the way back, so I'm more "comfortable" about our trip to LA as we'll be downstairs, and your comments help!

Posts: 6 | From: Enumclaw, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have traveled coast to coast on Amtrak many times and bring the laptop and cell along for the trip. Never had a problem, but always cautious. Cell phone usually comes with me when I leave my room. Laptop - I hide in the room and ensure the door and curtains are shut. Suitcase with clothes - usually leave downstairs in the luggage rack. I keep the backpack with me my room though. I recently bought a lock for the computer (at Best Buy) - can lock it to a hand rail in the sleeping compartment.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Room 12 on the lower level is my favorite.

It feels much more private than the "upstairs" rooms. And since many (if not most) upper level passengers are simply too lazy to use the downstairs toilets, you'll typically be able to choose freely between "Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3."

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downstairs is more private and you have easy access to the vestibule if you want to see out the other side. Upstairs has a better view over things and easy access to the morning coffee/juice station. Ride quality is about the same. Its good to try both to see which you like better. I like both levels for different reasons.

As for stuff, I've never had any trouble with leaving valuables in my room. I take the reasonable precautions as described above. I also tend to bury them under other things so if someone did enter the room they wouldn't be able to just hit and run. They'd have to do some digging. There are several good spots for burying things: under the seats, in the upper bunk, and (in Superliner IIs) in the well beneath the coat hanger, or (in Superliner Is) in the back of the closet.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I locked my computer and camera in my suitcase and just closed my door when I left my sleeper.
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just back from my ride on the Empire Builder and Texas Eagle, I didn't worry much about security. I did keep my curtain drawn and door closed to my compartment when I was gone. And when not in use the computer went in my bag pushed under the seat or in the bottom of the closet. Because of the layout, there was very little "through traffic" in the sleepers which also made me more comfortable about security.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I had a suitcase stowed in the luggage racks below, I always locked it with a small bike cable lock. That way nobody can "mistakenly" think it was their bag.

As for items in the sleeper, I usually just cover my laptop with a pillow, and go to the Parlour car. With that separating the sleepers from coaches, I could keep an eye on who walks through.

And I would never leave those items unattended during a station stop, cause should it disappear when you're rolling, at least you know it's still on the train somewhere!

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just left my laptop on top of my bed with a pillow over it when I left for a meal or some time (sometimes hours) in the observation car with no problems. Didn't even close the door, just pulled the curtian.

Locks only keep an honest man honest.

[This message has been edited by Room Service (edited 03-26-2004).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page