RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » One writer's impressions of a ride on the Cardinal

Author Topic: One writer's impressions of a ride on the Cardinal
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several of which aren't as flattering as many Amtrak Apologists would want to think.
http://www.zyworld.com/brancatelli/branc.htm

What would certain members of the Forum offer as rebuttals to his criticisms and remarks? Perhaps some more reasonable explanations of why equipment designated for that particualr trainhad to be directed to service on more heavily patronized (at this time of year) routes? What about some of the other observations that he made regarding the experience? Comments?

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hate to say it, but i think his article is fair and accurate. shows the state of amtrak today.....
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you shanghai, I can't find much to rebutt here. His experience seemed to represent that of the "average" Amtrak patron pretty well, confusing and somewhat confounding but not outrageous. He encountered both professional attitudes and non, the requisite funding related equipment failures or absences, and the all too common scheduling problems. Oddly, I see no agenda here either way, imagine that.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a typical Amtrak trip.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not a flattering article. But it's a fair description of what can happen when you hit Amtrak on a "fairly bad but not awful" day -- particularly on an east coast train.

If the writer had been more experienced in the ways of Amtrak, he would have checked into the sleeper/dining car situation far more thoroughly before arriving at the station.

He didn't. So he encountered unwelcome surprises.

Personally, I'd be far less compliant and "sheep-like" if a crew member attempted to plant me in a seat I didn't want. Especially if the train was nearly empty.

I would have also insisted on being allowed to transfer to the next train out of Washington, rather than meekly sit there for two hours -- waiting for a relief crew -- as a succession of other northbound trains departed from right across the platform.

As for Amtrak's employees. . . some are truly worth their weight in gold. But others I've encountered would have a hard time holding down a job at Burger King.

Behold the power of labor unions.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 03-23-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did write to the author. Overall I think he did a good job of reviewing his trip from his perspective.

However, I took issue with his using the oft misunderstood figure of subsidies per passenger, and why they don't accurately reflect the cost of running a given train. I then mentioned to him that the vast majority of Amtrak's subsidies go into the NEC infrastructure. When he wrote back he skirted the subsidy per passenger issue and only said that the NEC infrastructure is owned by Amtrak.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[B]Sounds like a typical Amtrak trip.

I agree.

I wish that the writer had had a better trip but I don't feel like he had a particular axe to grind.

I'm saddened by the state the Cardinal is in at this point in time having had a number of very pleasant trips on nearly full 7 superliner car Cardinal consists (2 sleepers, diner, lounge, 3 coaches) in recent years.

I'll add that I don't think that this was a particularly bad day for Amtrak in the east. My wife was on the Carolinian delayed four hours north of DC due to an engine failure. The train sat motionless with no explanation for hours near Aberdeen, MD. The crew completely disappeared from the site of increasingly hostile passengers.

I had my own issues aboard a delayed Carolinan (trackwork near Durham, NC) several days later. Unlike my fellow passengers I knew it was coming though.....I had seen the notice on the NCDOT website a couple of days before.

It's as if the entire 'Amtrak' thing has been one step up, two steps back. I see improvements but then aboard the train I'm amazed at how 'anti-customer' many individual employees are.

One brownie point though.......last week I called Amtrak to book passage using my guest reward points this summer on the Wyoming detoured California Zephyr (looking to add new miles to my collection). The very next day I had a phone call from someone at Amtrak to caution me that the train would be detoured around the Colorado Rockies and asking if I'd like to reschedule my trip for a 'more favorable' date. I thanked her for the call but declined telling her I wanted to be on the detoured train to begin with.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted Joe Brancatelli's account at Trainorders a couple of days ago. I was interested to see what kind of trip he would have, since I made the same trip in the fall of 2001 (when the Cardinal was still a Superliner train). I flew to Huntington nonstop from PHL -- at a price of $450 for a 1:15 flight (half what I paid to go to Argentina in 1998!). So I decided to take the train back -- a Superliner economy room for $150. I had to change in Washington, of course, but otherwise had a very pleasant trip. I spent a good part of it finishing a report to my client on my laptop, had a nice dinner in the diner, the train was on time, service was good and the crew was polite. I'm sorry Brancatelli couldn't have had as nice a trip.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God that was not a "typical trip" for me, and I do travel long haul quite a bit. Fortunately I do most of my travelling on the legendary Southwest Chief.

However, this article did seem "typical" of the east coast trains I have travelled. The author should be glad he got an electrical outlet. You are lucky to land an outlet on the old Superliners.

What was "typical" was that these were the reflections of a first-time east coast long haul traveller. A more experienced traveller would have boned up on his facts and been more critical of government funding for Amtrak, putting it into perspective with the massive subsidies that go to airlines and highways.

Had this writer been less miserable (and who can blame him for being miserable) then he would have said it was a miracle that Amtrak can keep its 30,000 mile network running for less money in a year than it takes to keep the 97 mile Bay Area Rapid Transit system going.

Anyway, he could have at least tried the cheese pizza in the cafe car (no preservatives or additives) and maybe had a drink or two of cabernet sauvignon. There are definitely ways to survive those horrid east coast trains and I don't think he was trying hard enough.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 03-24-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page