RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak adds voice-recognition service to toll-free reservations number

Author Topic: Amtrak adds voice-recognition service to toll-free reservations number
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainmag.com just reported that Amtrak says its toll-free reservation line now features voice-recognition software that enables callers to determine the status of any Amtrak train nationwide.

Using software created by SpeechWorks International, the system allows callers to find the status of any train using natural language speech recognition. The railroad says the system doesn't require the caller to know the train number, just the origin and destination cities, and the approximate arrival time.

The voice system, Amtrak says, will free up reservations agents, thereby reducing waiting times callers sometimes face. It's also simpler to use than the touch-tone system that has been in use, and which prompted 75 percent of callers to opt out and request an agent's assistance.

Trains.com attempted to use the new service this afternoon by calling the 1-800-USA-RAIL number. But the touch-tone system, not the voice-recognition system, responded to a query on the status of the Lake Shore Limited.

Early next year, Amtrak hopes to install voice recognition systems that will allow passengers to get fare information and make reservations.

well guys what do you think of all this.

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still hope Amtrak will let you talk to a real-live human agent if you choose!
I know some travelers would agree with me about that special human touch when planning their travels.

[This message has been edited by daniel3197 (edited 10-16-2001).]

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i prefered the old system just because I had it memorized with what I needed to do to get a train status. But if this new system makes buying tickets easier, then i'm all for it. I tried the new system, and i like it.. i don't know if it's better or not though! time will tell
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used the new system and I like it. It is so cool that a machine can understand what you're saying! And she's so friendly. LOL! She's friendlier than some of the Amtrak agents I have spoken to.
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually this system has been in place since at least August. When calling the 1-800 number sometimes I got the voice recognition system; other times I got the touch tone system. Both seem to work great.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the system again today (Sat 10/20) using an outdoor pay phone (Petersburg, VA), but it did not recognize any spoken words. Maybe I should have shouted? The system reverted to using the touch tones, and that worked fine.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
I tried the system again today (Sat 10/20) using an outdoor pay phone (Petersburg, VA), but it did not recognize any spoken words. Maybe I should have shouted? The system reverted to using the touch tones, and that worked fine.

So it was the new system, but didn't recognize your voice? Odd. Sometimes the receivers of those pay phones don't work properly..

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page