RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A second (non-railfan) columnist's impressions of her trip on the Crescent

Author Topic: A second (non-railfan) columnist's impressions of her trip on the Crescent
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is somewhat more positive than the Bracantelli article that I posted yesterday. Post your remarks/observations/criticisms below.

See link: http://www.frommers.com/activities/rail/article.cfm?articleid=1839&destid=RAIL

I think it can be beneficial to see how non-railfans veiw Amtrak. That's one reason why I posted these two articles. Perhaps it helps to understand their point of view.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The author of your linked article seems to blame unions and the "sinking ship" phenomenon for the state of Amtrak.

I would like to propose another reason for their disenchantment: The working conditions.

I propose this because I noticed on my trip to California last week that the personnel aboard the Surfliner seemed much more content with their jobs than those who manned the tired, overloaded Superliners.

Hey, I make peanuts at my job and that has never affected my attitude or my job performance. When you get right down to it, nobody knows if they will have a job tomorrow. And, having worked in many a union, I can tell you that some (if not all) of those guys are doing quite well (at least in comparison to me.)

In short, I blame bad service and attitude on Amtrak to lousy working conditions. Give those workers a train to be proud of and I guarantee you their performance will increase tenfold.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but expect them to be spacious, comfortable, and filled with great conversation. If that's your kind of trip, jump on board." -Sascha Segan

This and a similar sentiment expressed bythe other author are telling clues that may help explain Amtrak's increased ridership lately. Both authors seemed very pleased with the pace of train travel, so much so that they were willing to forego some time and convenience for a little quiet time. The terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 seem to have been a wake up call for many in our society concerning the frantic nature of existance in this era. There seems to be an awakening of sorts to the futility of careening through life at break-neck speed. Are we realizing that family time, quiet time, and conversations are actually more important than that next promotion? Did we realize on that horrible day that life may end at any moment and should therefore be enjoyed once in a while?
One can only hope so.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
I blame bad service and attitude on Amtrak to lousy working conditions. Give those workers a train to be proud of and I guarantee you their performance will increase tenfold.

Working for Amtrak doesn't automatically qualify someone for sainthood.

You're making the assumption that every Amtrak employee would absolutely leap at the opportunity to "give 110%" -- if only their working conditions were better.

I don't know what routes you've been traveling. But as I've mentioned in another thread, there are plenty of Amtrak workers out there who'd have a hard time keeping a job at Burger King.

Thanks to the unions, a "bad" employee has to murder a entire carload of passengers before the railroad can bounce him or her onto the unemployment line.

A deadbeat is a deadbeat. I've encountered them on the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. And yes, I've encountered them on a completely empty Pacific Surfliner -- where I once rode with the rudest, angriest Amtrak conductor I've encountered in all my years of rail traveling.

Amtrak crews are quite well paid. They get excellent benefits. And the conditions they work under are -- let's face it -- far superior to those that many lesser-paid workers in other occupations have to endure.

Sure, trains can be crowded. Equipment can break down. Unexpected problems can materialize.

The good employees rise to the occasion and do the best they can. The rest deserve to be fired.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we are in disagreement here.

And I will willingly backtrack on whatever you think I implied in my posting. Perhaps good working conditions do not have anything to do with attitude or service.

I think specifically of attendant Delouris on Amtrak's Southwest Chief. The train was so crowded that she had to shove luggage into one of the bathrooms just to keep the coach isles clear. And yet she never complained. Her good-hearted spirit and extraordinary sense of humor was an inspiration to us all.

Or that fellow who ran the cafe car. On my way to Los Angeles we were informed that the observation car was not operational. In the short span of about an hour he transformed the lower level of a coach car into an improvised cafe. It was absolutely remarkable and throughout, his spirit and enthusiasm for his job did not flag a bit.

Yes, it is essential that Amtrak eliminates the deadwood if it is to service. I could tell you stories of my own life, working in the sweaty confines of a newspaper bindery where the temperature soared to over 100 degrees and our pay did not exceed five dollars. Yet we never lost our spirit and we always loved our jobs.

To hell with the unions, I say. If Amtrak employees don't like their job, then its time for them to move on.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 03-24-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To hell with the unions, I say. If Amtrak employees don't like their job, then its time for them to move on."

Chucky, I completely agree with you. The working conditions for Amtrak employees may be bad, and if they are, then that is unfortunate. But no matter what the conditions are, if the employees can't hack it, then they should find another job. That's they way most jobs work, I don't know why Amtrak employees should have it any differently. Many Amtrak employees have been so horrible, and so rude for so long, that I have no sympathy for them anymore.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of the roughly 100 Amtrak employees that I have encountered, I've only encountered 2 "bad" employees. That's not a bad percentage and seems to be within the norm for most companies.

Sure, most of them are average employees, getting their job done, but then you encounter a Sweet Pea in the diner, or a Toni Westfield in the sleeper, or a Jerry Griffo as CoOS and the entire trip turns into something entertaining and special...

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M190, Very Well Said!

OBTW, I think Amtrak employees are simply a reflection of our society & of us as individuals....most good, a few bad.
Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Enjoy the ride, the enjoyment is in the journey.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page