RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Very First Trip

Author Topic: Very First Trip
Toccoa_guy
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Toccoa_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I am getting married in August and my wife and I want to take the Crescent from NE Georgia to New York city for our honeymoon. The station is very close to us. I have a few questions though. It is an unstaffed station and how do we check our bags? Or do we pack light and carry on everything? What are the luggage restrictions? I've looked at the site but can't make any sense of it. Any help or general advice would surely make out first train trip an unforgetable experience. Thanks again.
Posts: 3 | From: Hartwell, GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it all deppens on the size of the luggage, theres an over head lugage rack that holds all my lugage,What Train are you taking?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the station is unstaffed as you indicate, then usually NO checking of baggage is performed there. You'll have to take your baggage aboard the train and check it at the next station on down the line that handles checked baggage. The timetable will indicatge which stations handle checked baggage. Checked baggage, obviously, is handled at staffed stations only. In my case, during my last train trip, embarking at Red Wing, I had to wait until Chicago until I had enough time to check my baggage (one has to get the baggage to the station at least 30 minute prior to departure in order to avail oneself of the service. At the smaller stations along the line, this isn't possible for someone who was in my situation, so I had to wait until arrival in the Windy City). I was able to store it in the downstairs compartment on the way to Chicago, though (no staff at Red Wing, so no checked baggage service). You're allowed to check up to three bags per passneger, and none of the bags may be over 50 lbs. I also have a carry-on that has things like wet-naps (tm) and toiletries.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 03-29-2004).]

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option would be to locate the nearest station that has checked bag service, and use that instead. Another thing: be sure to check on the train's status by phoneing the toll free number in order to see if the train is on time or not. The landlord frieght RR will be doing a considerable amount of track amintenance during the summer in GA, and Amtrak has already begun to plan for this eventuality. Unfortuantely, just as with highway maintenance, the track maintenance almost ensures that there will be restricted speed zones all throughout GA and the Carolinas. These speed restrictions are due to essential track maintenace, but they are certain to affect all trains traveling through that area, not just the freights. BTW, the Friehgt RR is also the property owner of the tracks, so they can - and will - control the traffic control, limits, and the maintenace schedule. Amtrak is only the tenant, so Amtrak has to operate by the freight RRs "rules," so to speak. Its not the same as the highways, which are public infrastructure. Amtrak, and its trains, are at the mercy of the frieght railroads, and some of them don't care onw bit if Amtrak gets delayed by the more profitable freight.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you travelling in a sleeper or in coach? There is actually a bit more storage space for carry-on luggage in coach, but usually the train staff will make whatever you have fit wherever you are as long as it isn't outlandishly large or heavy. I'd suggest just packing carefully and taking carry on bags. I always do so I don't have to deal with the hassle of checking luggage and then waiting to retrieve it on the other end. Here is a link to Amtrak's carry-on policy: http://www.amtrak.com/plan/baggage-carryon.html
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend a 24" for each of you and an "over the shoulder" bag for each of you. If you cannot fit all your stuff in those two bags (each), then you are taking too much stuff.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toccoa_guy
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toccoa_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess we'll just pack very light. Thanks very much.
Posts: 3 | From: Hartwell, GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my home page there are Tips for Train Riders.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

You will also find my Tribute to Amtrak there as well.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CG96:
[B]The landlord frieght RR will be doing a considerable amount of track amintenance during the summer in GA, and Amtrak has already begun to plan for this eventuality.

Good suggestion on checking on-time status with Amtrak during the day of your departure. Northbound out of Toccoa is scheduled for something like 9:15pm give or take.

Toccoa is served by the Crescent operating on Norfolk Southern. NS has a much better on-time record than CSX for handling Amtrak. (Saw the Crescent on-time four trains in a row in Atlanta during February) The track work mentioned will be mostly affecting the NY-Florida trains operating on CSX.

If you do want to locate a staffed station with checked baggage, your nearest possibilities from Toccoa would be either Atlanta, GA or Greenville, SC.

Enjoy your trip and congratulations on your upcoming marriage. My wife and I honeymooned on Amtrak and the positive experiences outweighed the bad.......referring to the Amtrak journey......the same is still true of the life journey as well.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is your honeymoon, be sure to book a deluxe room so you can have the double bed option!
Without being to graphic or bold..(!)my hubby and I had a very romatic trip on the same train two weeks ago. We turned on Channel 2 and they were playing some great music, The Byrds, then some sort of 50's longe music, and some good country. We watched the scenery for a while etc.
Word of caution for romantics: if you have your window curtains open and are being "romantic" be careful you don't stop at a grade crossing or pull into a station!
What a great way to start a marriage!
Be sure to eat at Ruby Foo's in NYC...my fav

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One trip on the CZ years ago with the Heritage sleepers I fell asleep one night watching the stars over the Utah desert. Then later, I opened my eyes and found I was in the Salt Lake City station lying mostly naked in a window with a platform full of people staring at me. I did the only thing possible under the circumstances - rolled over and went back to sleep.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore the part CG96 says about upstairs/downstairs. These are the viewliners, single level cars. Do hunt up information about the layout of the cars. Hope your wife-to-be has a sense of adventure about things. When we were much younger and skinnier we made a similar trip, starting in south Mississippi. Two people can fit in one bearth, but wider is nicer. Hope your schedule gives you a full or nearly full moon, The hills and mountains over the carolinas are beautiful by moonlight. As warned, keep the position of the window shade and curtains in mind so that if the train come to a stop in an awkward location, you can pull down the shade / close the curtain or whatever you need to do to avoid becoming part of the entertainment.

Yes, best if you pack as light as practical and not try to figure out how to ckeck it. After all, part of what you are doing is gettin on the train without having to go a long way to do it. So, the last thing you want to have to do is make a trip to Atlanta or Greenville. Also, note that Toccoa is listed as a flag stop. You should have your ticket in advance so that the train knows to stop. Be sure to be there and be visible, anyway. Confirm the actual departure time from Atlanta if you can. (You may be too busy if that is the wedding day.) That will give you a good idea of whether the train is on time, and if late, how late. There is very little slack in the schedule between Atlanta and Toccoa northbound. Generally if Amtrak introduces no glitches, NS will keep it pretty well on time.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brings back memories....

21 years ago my wife and I went straight from the church to the train station.

I agree with all the above advice, and will just add that if your train is runnning late, try to get to the station earlier than the expected arrival, in case it makes up some time. One trick I do is check to see when it departed the previous station up the line. Check the travel time against the timetable and that gives a good idea of actual arrival time at your station.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page