TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SW Chief Travel on Christmas

Author Topic: SW Chief Travel on Christmas
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New member to the board here.

Travelling WB the SW Chief on Christmas Day. We load from Kansas City Christmas Eve and will run into Union Station on the 26th.

We have a compartment (all you Superliner types: Deluxe bedroom, but look at the footprint of a pullman compartment vice a deluxe room) so we'll certainly be comfortable.

So here are the questions:

Does Amtrak do anything special for its travellers on Christmas Day?

And ... knowing that the California Zephyr doesn't do French Toast ... does the SW Chief?

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know about Christmas Day, but i do know about the French toast. The Southwest Chief had excellent French toast when I travelled on it this past summer.

Get to the dining car early when they open (usually 6:30) and it won't be crowded. Have a merry Christmas and enjoy the French toast.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin is right: the Chief has excellent French Toast. I have it for breakfast every time I travel Amtrak, and it gets better each time.
I think that the train crews (or someone else) might decorate the train (or just the Sightseer Lounge) for Christmas. I've been aboard the Chief on July 4th, and there were red, white, and blue banners hanging up in the Lounge. I don't think Amtrak'll hand out gifts, but they might show a Christmas movie or invite everyone to sing carols! The engineer might play "Jingle Bells" on the horn, too.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Empire Builder July 4, 2001 and no mention of the holiday was anywhere to be found (except on the decorations in the towns we passed through). I was kind of disappointed that no one even mentioned it.

And I did have French Toast on the California Zephyr earlier in that same trip. My informal survey says it was the best (but I haven't been on the SW Chief - maybe next year!)

Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the specials I've seen are in the lounge & dining car. The lounge served special happy hour treats & the dining car had special menu items. Please let us all know what your experience on the Chief is. I know if you have crew 10, you'll have a great trip.
Reggie

PS Welcome to the forum Pullmanco
------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 11-01-2001).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to one and all.

Went through the crew 10 website. They would have done well in the days of either the Chief or the Super Chief. We'll know who drew the duty after the trip.

I've got a couple of travelogues posted under the CZ, so I will develop one for this trip as well.

In a way, I should have bought two sections (read standard bedrooms) and each of us would have had a lower.

As it is, someone will probably fall asleep in the lower and his Dad will fall asleep in the chair watching America on Christmas Eve

John

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's the first part of the feedback from the trip:

First, I did not have Crew 10 on either the WB or the EB legs. That said, kudos to Randy and to James Coleman, who were the porters of the 0331 and 0430 cars, respectively.

Also, kudos to the extra board porter (Pamela?) who worked the 0330 car and who greeted us at Kansas City. BTW, she had the only car that WAS decorated for Christmas.

The diners had fresh poinsettias both ways. That was the extent of Amtrak's official recognition of the holiday.

Good food in both directions, but nothing more or less than the standard dining car menu.

Speaking of the diner, if you ever draw either Henry Ford or Regina at your table, they are good people, who could command top dollar at any front rank restaurant!

There is one other comment, but it will have to wait a month ... until Governor Dukakis either elects to reply to my letter or the deeadline passes.

Blessed 2002, John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear that more was not done to celebrate Christmas on the southwest Chief.

I am replying to your comment about Henry Ford. I am glad to hear he is still working on the Southwest Chief. My mother took the train from Chicago to Flagstaff in about 1988. At that time, Mr. Ford was her coach attendant. She talked a lot about how good a man he was when she returned, and sometimes she still talks about how nice a man he was. She has taken several trains, and still thinks that Mr. Ford is the best. If I remember correctly, he was also on the Sunset Limited that crashed west of Phoenix. I can't remember the exact date, I would guess the early 1990's.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the followup report, but what about the French Toast?

Cheers and a Happy New Year to all!

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I looked at the Fred Harvey/AT&SF recipe, the French toast was supposed to be baked after its time in the frying pan.

The Amtrak recipe includes both nutmeg and cinnamon in the batter, but does not go into the oven.

It's good French toast, but it's not what I remember when Santa Fe chefs were working the diners.

John

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page