RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Key word is "if".

Author Topic: Key word is "if".
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following is credited to Trans. Secty Mineta. and quoted from an article by Bob Withers in the Herald-Dispatch.

"Answering a reporter’s question about the future of Amtrak, Mineta said there is room for a national passenger train system in general -- and, specifically, the Cardinal -- if Congress passes the reform bill that the Bush administration proposed last year."

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So quite literally, Mineta and Bush are saying "My way of the highway."

These idiots (and I have no better word for them) didn't even consult with Amtrak, the freight railroads or the states when they put together their plan, yet they expect all three agencies to carry it out without question. Just who appointed them dictators?

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Supreme Court.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that both Mr. Mineta and Mr. Bush's father have AIRPORTS named after them, not train stations. Hmmmm...

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately, Mineta cannot appropriate a single dime for or against Amtrak. But I do wish he had been let go in January 2001.

It's up to us to convince our congress critters to properly fund Amtrak.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also agree that Mineta is a complete idiot. The Bush Administration has no clue on how railroads work, particularly Amtrak - nor have they spent the time to try and find out. This is why their "reforms" sound so crazy.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called politicking. Lest we forget: Clinton was no friend of Amtrak either, nor could we have expected anything form Gore. This is the team that brought us Warrington.

The Bush team at least brought us a guy that knows his job. With Gunn we do have a man at the top of Amtrak that knows how to run a railroad. That certainly could not be said of Warrington. He was simply a bureaucratic kingdom builder. Multiple vice presidents of mushy thinking do not make anything run better. Ask any New Jersey Transit person who is in a position where he is unafraid to give an honest answer if they are better off with Warrington than they were before him.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the oldest political trick in the book. Instead of calling for a program to be killed, you propose a plan to "save" it that you know will fail or never get off the ground. Then when your opponents block the proposal, you put the program "out of its misery" and blame the opposition for leaving you "no choice."
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately, it is politically impossible to kill Amtrak at this time. Too many politicians won't tick off over 25 million people (riders) by attempting to outright kill Amtrak.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What strikes me the most and causes me to have conspiratory tendencies is the fact that this doesn't seem to be a partisan issue. As Mr Toy pointed out, the Clinton administration was no better in dealing with Amtrak. For my buck, that is even wierder. I expect conservatives to go gunning for Amtrak as an "entitlement", but not the Dems.

It must be tough to be in congress, trying to keep your constituents happy so you can keep your job while not alienating the lobbyists who line your pockets and pave your career path.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Excuse me, it was Mr. Harris not Mr. Toy who made the Clinton comment.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M190:
...the Clinton administration was no better in dealing with Amtrak. For my buck, that is even wierder. I expect conservatives to go gunning for Amtrak as an "entitlement", but not the Dems.

I have a theory about this. Democrats support Amtrak in general, but they don't really understand the issues any better than the Republicans do. This leaves the Democrats unable to adequately defend Amtrak. Thus when a conservative bean counter comes at them with numbers that only show losses, the Democrats roll over and play dead so as not to be labeled as fiscally irresponsible.

This concludes my theory.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Mr Toy, your theory is full of holes.

There are some rather strong supporters of Amtrak in the Republican Party. Several politicians understand that we will need rail transportation as our population grows and are willing to support rail travel and Amtrak.

Let's face the facts. A few Billion dollars in a 2.4 Trillion dollar ANNUAL(!!!) budget is rather small. Hell.... HUD as "misplaced" more money than that (HUD cannot find 4 billion dollars)

We need to hammer the need for rail in our growing population as a viable alternative to more concrete and more congested airways.
Write your congress critters; especially the ones that are anti-Amtrak!

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak right now lacks an Authorization Act.

All Congress has to do is just omit funding for Amtrak in the FY05 appropriation legislation for DOT.

I would pay careful attention to the House and Senate Transportation subcommittees of the respective Appropriations Committees.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
Mr Toy, your theory is full of holes.

There are some rather strong supporters of Amtrak in the Republican Party.

The critical word here being "some." I was specaking in general, so I was not referring to any specific Republicans. Generally speaking, the vast majority of Amtrak's critics are Republicans. Yes, there are some Republicans who support Amtrak, and they are the few (the very few) who actually comprehend the issues. The rest don't have a clue, and they are the ones who are out to kill Amtrak.

There are also a few Democrats who are not friendly to Amtrak, such as Norman Mineta. But he is a minority among Democrats.

I'm not bashing Republicans or conservatives per se. But one cannot deny that the majority of Amtrak's critics are Republicans, and the majority of Republicans in Congress are critics of Amtrak.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we could get Republicans to convince other Republicans to support Amtrak, and still count on most all of the Democrats, we could acheive a solid majority.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember,Amtrak's deepest cuts happened under a Democratic administration.(Jimmy Carter.)

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
While Rome burns . . .

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A huge transportation construction bill -- deemed a critical election-year jobs bill by Republicans and Democrats -- cleared the House with a veto-proof margin on Friday, setting up a potential showdown with President Bush, who says it is too expensive.

The six-year $275 billion bill, which would fund construction and repairs of highways, bridges and transit systems, passed by a vote of 357 to 65.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page