RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » VIA Rail #2 - First ride coming up

Author Topic: VIA Rail #2 - First ride coming up
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are riding VIA's Canadian from Vancouver to Winnipeg departing Vancouver April 13. This will be our first ride on this train.

Could someone tell me a bit about the 'typical' consist for trains 1 and 2 at this time of year?

Also, I'm curious about the directional running agreement moving east from Vancouver. Will we be riding on CN or CP and at what point does the directional running end?

Thanks for this and any other pertinant info anyone might have to suggest.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Canadian last December, and typically it will run with either two or three sleepers plus the Park car. On my trip we had four manor series sleepers two coaches one skyline dome car one dining car and of course the Park dome sleeper at the end. I believe that eastbound out of Vancouver the Canadian runs over the CPR to Ashcroft, and westbound over the CN Ashcroft to Vancouver. If there are tour groups aboard, Via may substantially increase the number of sleepers, and by the height of the summer season they will add many more sleepers plus extra dome and dining cars. This is a wonderful train, and I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You won't be disappointed. As mentioned, they often add sleepers to meet demand. VIA is very good at doing this. Spend most of your daylight hours in the dome car - Park Car is the best. They usually serve afternoon snacks and drinks in the dome cars. The Canadian is a great experience and highly recommed it. You'll probably have some layover time in Jasper - take advantage of this and explore downtown - but watch the clock! You may spot VIA's Panorama car in Vancouver or Jasper - they use this car on the Skeena mid May through October. Nice car. Enjoy!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NS VIA FAN
Member # 3161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NS VIA FAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, once out of the Vancouver station trackage (which is CN) the eastbound Canadian is on Burlington Northern Santa Fe until it is across the Fraser River bridge at New Westminster. Then CN to Matsqui where it crosses the Fraser River again to Mission and onto CP for the directional running eastbound to Basque (near Ashcroft) where it re-enters CN trackage. Westbound, the Canadian is on CN all the way through the Thompson and Fraser River Canyons until it hits the BNSF at New Westminster then on into Vancouver.

Here’s a sample consist:

VIA #1 at Toronto, April 1, 2004

Skyline 8507
Empress
Macdonald Manor
Grant Manor
Douglas Manor
Assiniboine Park

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You all for your input. I am really looking forward to this trip. My only previous VIA experience (besides seeing Canadian crews on the soon to pass 'International') was a solo overnight ride from Toronto to Montreal in 1987. I'm afraid that afterwards my wife won't be willing to set foot on Amtrak again, though!!!!

Looks like I should expect a couple of locomotives, a couple of coaches, skyline lounge, diner, and 3-5 sleepers including the park car. We're booked in bedroom A on what I presume will be one of the 'Manor' series sleepers.

Thanks also for the breakdown on who's rails the eastbound Canadian operates and at what points it shifts to different railroads. This info is most helpful and I'll have some fun calculating my mileage (I'm the ugly American....my book logs miles, not kilometers!) from old Official Guides.

For future reference am I correct in assuming that the Rocky Mountaineer has the same operating pattern between Vancouver and Kamloops?

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For your information, although Canada switched to Metric sometime in the '70's, the railways still use miles. However, the Via timetable shows the distances between towns in kilometres which is rather annoying since those numbers on telegraph poles are still in miles.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't forget to spend some time in the Skyline Car, even if you're first class. I liked the dome car better there than in the Park car. Seemed nicer somehow. Kind of smoky in the Park Car. I wish they'd do away with smoking on VIARAIL!!!!
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Sutton, please see my post on your question regarding Via's smoking policy. I think you will now find the Park much less smoky than the Skyline car.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page