RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How to track the Zephyr

Author Topic: How to track the Zephyr
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are headed east out of Denver on the Zephyr Saturday night. Schedule calls for a 7:38 p.m. departure. When does it leave it's point of origin in CA and what do folks think is the best way to track it as it goes across country. Sometimes it is horrendously late but usually only a couple of hours. I know it can make up time, too.
Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One way is to use the Amtrak website. Just click on the "Train Status" feature and you can check any train's progress. You could also call the 800 # and let "Julie" tell you how things are going.

I've been tracking the Empire Builder for the last six days and it has been early into Chicago three times and late three times. One of the lates was five minutes and the other two were an hour and change. Not bad for a trip of that length. I'll be on board on the 23rd from SEA.

From my own experience, though, if they say the train is late keep calling. Sometimes they make up time. After three live people (Sorry, Julie!) told me that the Sunset would depart NO EARLIER than 10:15PM out of Tallahassee I got left behind when it departed at 10:00PM. I was not alone. Amtrak did refund the full amount of the ticket and Holiday Inn didn't hold me to my non-refundable webrate in NOL.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of sad when we think relatively on-time performance is marvelous. I was having such a good ride on the EB Seattle-Milwaukee a couple years ago, that I was actually annoyed that we were almost on time into Milwaukee. As has been said before in this forum: late train = more time on the train!

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page