RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Horror of a Derailment

Author Topic: Horror of a Derailment
jefffromark
Member # 827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jefffromark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone on this board ever been involved in a derailment? With all my travels I never have but just wonder what its like. Especially anywhere upstairs in a superliner and the car tips over on its side - that would create some trauma even the best railfan might have trouble returning to rails. Imagine being in the sightseer lounge or having your dinner it is frightening to think about it.

On my last trip from Chicago to Memphis that rough track in Illinois was scary enough especially with the sleeper positioned right behind the engine, the slack action and swaying - Im just glad I didn't have dinner that night!

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"create some trauma even the best railfan might have trouble returning to rails."

Whoa, here!! Ever been in an automobile accident? I would suspect that most of us have. Does that make you decide to quit driving or riding in automobiles? Ever fallen off a bicycle? Did you get back on?

Let's don't descend from rationality into paranoia. Regardless of those that go way off the deep end on precautions, life is uncertain. The perception of safety and security is just that, a perception. No matter what you do you can not protect yourself from all random events.

Yes, we should take reasonable safety precautions, but not to the point that the precautions exceed the benefits. There are certain times and places that I avoid driving because of the danger of drunks driving. I wear seatbelts in a car always, and have since before there was any law on it, because the benefits outweigh the minor inconvenience. Yet, I knew a man who would not wear a seatbelt because a friend of his burned in a car fire and the perception was that he could have been gotten out if the seatbelt had not held him. I am not particularly a fan of air bags becuase of the danger to small children. Here, I am not convinced that, if you had your seatbelt on, the benefit exceeds the danger.

Let's look at what happened: The train left the tracks at a speed of over 70 mph, several cars ended up on their sides and only one person was killed. Try that one with a bus or automobile. It speaks volumes for the strength and safety of the American railway passenger car.

Look at a plane crash. Usually everybody / most everybody dies. Look at a train wreck. Usually everybody / most everybody survives. Yet, I still get on a plane some 20 to 30 times a year.

We kill approximately 40,000 people a year in automobile accidents in the US, that is over 100 A DAY, and it is usually local news only. We kill one person in a train accident and it is international news. There is no rationality in reporting, only a search for the sensational.

To answer your question, no, I have never been in a derailment. I have ridden past the remains of derailments, including one where it was a collision between passenger trains. (That was not in the US.) I was riding a train that hit an automobile once. I have been involved in analyzing a derailment once.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think both Jeff and George have good points. I can imagine that going over the side in a Superliner must be a pretty traumatic experience, if not necessarily life threatening. Now and then I think about it when I look around the interior of a Superliner. There are quite a few blunt edges to bang one's head on if a train tips over.

Still one must acknowledge that American railcars are built tough. To see the cars completely intact after tumbling off a low bridge is a testament to their quality construction. Any other vehicle would be a blob of crumpled metal.

(That said, however, modern automobiles have made a lot of safety improvements with crumple zones and rigid passenger compartments, that many would protect their occupants quite well in a similar situation.)

I seem to recall that when the California Zephyr derailed a few years ago in Iowa, one woman was killed, but the vast majority of the survivors got back on the train a couple days later and completed their journeys.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldnt realy be to scard about being in the loundge durring a Derailment thanks to that FRA Part 223 Glazzing, and I would say the worst place to be during a derailment would be rite as you'r crossing between cars.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I take the Southwest Chief, I always take a small flashlight with me. I keep it in my pocket and it's chained to my belt loop. So if I'm in a derailment at least I'll be able to see where I am at night. It seems most Amtrak derailments have happened at night and I just like to be ready if it happens.

Of course I'll always stay with rails wreck or no wreck.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon hit it. The worst place to be is going between cars at the time of derailment. However, since the chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so close to zero, there is no need to really dicide that you have to not move from car to car except when the train is stopped. Again, that borders on the descent into paranoia.

However, when things really go haywire, the glass will not be enough. The major loss of life accident in Amtrak's history, in Mobile Bay should really be classified as a shipping accident since the cause was a completely lost towboat pilot ramming a bridge. In that case 42 people died, mostly by drowning.

We must keep things in perspective. None of this stops me from riding trains, and getting a window seat when I can.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page