RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Newbie & just booked the Coast Starlight

Author Topic: Newbie & just booked the Coast Starlight
Alweg1959
Member # 3178

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Alweg1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, new poster here after finding these boards while poking around on the Internet trying to find info to help me plan a trip from Portland back down to my home in Orange County, CA.

I took a round trip on the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle back in 1996 and had a blast. I take the Surfliner up to LA about once a year, but I haven't been on a long distance train since '96. But I'm excited to be able to take the Coast Starlight once again on my return trip from Portland, and I look forward to posting a Trip Report here once I get back at the end of the month. (I assume Trip Reports are welcome here.)

To make my reservation I had been looking for info on the Web to help me make the right decisions regarding sleeping rooms and such and stumbled across the Trainweb website and found that info invaluable. I tried to purchase my ticket this afternoon at the Anaheim station, but there was a long line of people with just one agent at the counter, so I passed on that. Instead I called the 1-800 line tonight and tried that, but I got an Amtrak computer named "Julie" who became confusing. Luckily after a few minutes Julie figured out we weren't getting along and she transferred me to a human.

I'm happy to report that I now have a reservation on the Coast Starlight at the end of the month with Room #8, then a transfer to a Surfliner from LA to Anaheim. I hope the Coast Starlight is just as nice and just as much fun as I remember it being back in '96! Anyone have any suggestions for me? Is Room #8 a good location?

Posts: 2 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, sounds like you'll have fun. I'm taking the southbound Starlight on May 28 from Emeryville to LA. Looking forward to it!

I think, if I'm not mistaken, that room 8 is very near to the car wheels, so it may be more bumpy than lower-numbered rooms towards the middle. Personally, I've never really been bothered by it, but some feel it more than others.
http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, sounds like you'll have fun. I'm taking the southbound Starlight on May 28 from Emeryville to LA. Looking forward to it!

I think, if I'm not mistaken, that room 8 is very near to the car wheels, so it may be more bumpy than lower-numbered rooms towards the middle. Personally, I've never really been bothered by it, but some feel it more than others.
http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Sorry, didn't meant to post that twice...
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Room 8 is over the trucks, but it's not going to be noticable unless one of the wheels is out-of-round (not likely). #8 is far enough away from the door between the cars, so you shouldn't hear that all night.

My preference is rooms 3, 4, 5, or 6; with 7, & 8 being in the second choice of rooms.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in room 7, which is across from room 8. I've never noticed any difference from other rooms. They are really pretty much the same. The only distinction I would care about is upper or lower level.

I think you'll find your journey on the Starlight to be quite pleasant. I took a trip about 6 weeks ago, and it was terrific. But every trip is different. Some have more glitches than others.

My trip reports are on these threads http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001943.html
http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001963.html

I'll be posting a complete travelogue with photos on my website one of these days.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alweg1959
Member # 3178

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alweg1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great info everyone! I stopped by the Amtrak station at Angel's Stadium this evening and asked the ticket agent if he could help me change my reservation to a different room. When I asked on the phone I was told that they would have to charge me a "higher price" to do that, but something told me that if I went in person to a station I would get more assistance.

After about five minutes of the ticket agent tapping at his keyboard, he had moved me to Room #2. He was as pleasant as could be about it, issued me a new ticket, and didn't charge me a penny.

Thanks again for the room number suggestions everyone, and great Trip Reports Mr. Toy!

Posts: 2 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the car is set in the proper direction(deluxe cabins to the front) you will be on the ocean side up to Santa Barbara. I like any cabins # 2-8 on the upper level. The Pacific Parlour car is the place to sit and enjoy the daytime view because you get a view from both sides.
I'm looking forward to a trip LAX-EMY-LAX in May. I will book a coach seat and see if the conductor will give me a decent price to upgrade.
Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page