RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Whose disicion?

Author Topic: Whose disicion?
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, who desides on Amtrak's paint sheames?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it may head all the way up to the Prez or CEO for a decision like that; for example, Gunn would never had let them go through with ordering the 123-207 Genesis units with the new paint scheme.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Gunn is shooting for a consistent livery for the entire fleet. A first in Amtrak's history, at least since Phase I was phased out.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 04-13-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
A first in Amtrak's history, at least since Phase I was phased out.

Well not exactly.

Phase III was fairly consistent for several years. Only paint scheme I think that was consistent on Amtrak for a while. Phase I was in the era of rainbow consists, and the locos (especially the SDP40F's were not in phase 1 but in a different bloody nose scheme). So you probably meant phase III, the equal red white and blue stripes scheme.

Then there were those Superliners that were heavily faded and thier phase III didn't look right, so even phase III wasn't color consistent for everything.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy wrong...

Thats a first!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question has probably been debated before, so my apologies... but what does everyone think of Amtrak's latest paint schemes?

Frankly, I like Phase III better than Phase IV. I really like the "Phase V/Acela" scheme for the P42 engines myself, but I know many people who hate that scheme. I also don't mind the Acela Amfleet scheme myself, and I really like the Acela Express paint scheme & logo. Anybody else with me on that?

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the Pepsi can engines- Dash 8s, but now they are a shitty grey color
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the original phase IV on Superliners with phase V P42's. Looks very classy.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
Well not exactly.....Phase I was in the era of rainbow consists, and the locos (especially the SDP40F's were not in phase 1 but in a different bloody nose scheme). So you probably meant phase III, the equal red white and blue stripes scheme.

I was referring to the original Amtrak scheme, immediately after the rainbow era. The one where the stripes become a pointless arrow at each end of the cars. I don't know why they ever bothered to go from that to different variations of stripe widths, when the first version was fine. The red nosed locomotive was part of the Phase I scheme, at least by my reckoning. It didn't match the cars, but at least it was uniform across the fleet at the same time the pointless arrows were on the cars. So I consider it all part of the original Phase I.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 04-13-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Call Mr.Toy
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page