TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Equipment Shortage

Author Topic: Equipment Shortage
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that Amtrak has an issue with equipment shortage. This is especially the case for Superliners. Is Amtrak doing anything to remedy the situation? Shouldn't this be a budgetary priority?

When equipment is in the shop (whether it be Coaches, Locomotives, or what not) it seems to hold up the whole show. I even heard on one of these boards that that is one of the primary reasons that the Sunset only runs 3x per wk.

Is it time to stop fixing (duct taping) the old equipment and start purchasing new? Comments anyone?

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, Amtrak can't afford new equipment at the current time.

Depends on your definition of "shortage" of course, Amtrak could certainly utilize additional cars but, at least for Superliner trains, I don't think they are currently in danger of annulling trains because of equipment shortage. Plus the aggressive rebuild program at Beech Grove has helped alot.

I think Viewliners have been more of a concern for Amtrak lately because of the harsh Northeastern winter and because Amtrak only owns 50 Viewliner sleepers. Mr. Gunn has gone on record saying that the next rolling stock acquisition will probably be new Viewliner lounge/diners and sleepers, to alleviate Eastern car shortages and to phase out the remaining Heritage cars. (Trains magazine, May '04).

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Superliners have now been repaired and returned to service? Last I heard it was twenty, but that was awhile ago. Of course, we lost half a dozen Superliners last week so the net gain as of now is less than 20.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have room at home:
http://trainsale.com/index.htm

Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page