RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Hiawatha hits car at grade crossing, driver killed

Author Topic: Amtrak Hiawatha hits car at grade crossing, driver killed
Fan_Trains
Member # 2874

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fan_Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Trains.com:

Amtrak southbound train No. 342, the lastsouthbound Hiawatha service train from Milwaukee, Wis., to Chicago, Ill., in the evening, struck a vehicle at the Braun Road crossing at 8:13 p.m. last night, shortly after leaving the station stop at sturtevent, Wis., according to Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari. The Vehicle's occupant was killed. The crossing gates were down and the warning lights had been activated.

here is the link:

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/005/072msxti.asp

Posts: 44 | From: Biloxi,Mississippi,USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear is anouther link from the local news.
Bill
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/3004805/detail.html

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the bad news on Tuesday hear is some good news about the Hiawatha.

Route numbers
Ridership rose last month, for the 10th straight month, on Amtrak's Milwaukee-to-Chicago Hiawatha line, the DOT reported. The trains provided 32,871 rides, which was up more than 10% from last February even after adjusting for this year's leap day. In the first two months of this year, ridership totaled 66,954, up 14% from 58,824 in the same period of 2003, DOT rail chief Ron Adams said.

From the March 22, 2004 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hiawatha service between Milwaukee & Chicago is a good deal for everyone. It's usually on time, and a new limited snack service (manned on some trains by a pushcart thru the aisles - cookies, chips, soda, juice, beer, wine, etc) is very welcome. Now if they'd just hurry up & fix that icky station!
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
I agree with you GrandmaJudy. The Milwaukee station sure needs the remodeling. It still looks like it is from the 50’s I know they keep talking about the improvements and I believe that there was money allotted from the state for the fix up. It has been a wile since I been in the station but they used to have a photo up on what the station is suppose to look like after the improvements.

Bill

panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree on Milwaukee. I was through there last month on the Empire BUilder and thought it was even more depressing than St. Louis. At least in St. Louis I could look at the skyline while stretching my legs.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh... I thought she was talking about the Sturtevant station....
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another successful candidate for the Darwin award.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page