RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder Consist?

Author Topic: Empire Builder Consist?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Guest Rewards tickets have arrived for the Empire Builder, SEA-CHI departing this Friday, 04/23. We are in Deluxe Bedroom "D", Car 0830. Any idea of where that will put us in the consist? What happens in Spokane when the Portland section is added? Is it just hooked on to the back of the Seattle section?

Very much looking forward to this trip!

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usual consist tends to be locos, baggage, sleepers, diner, lounge, coaches, then the Portland coach and sleeper. Somebody said the 30 car is normally the one next to the diner. The lounge car goes with the Portland section; the diner with the Seattle section.

Enjoy the trip - it's great!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Geoff. I guess that means if you are in the Portland sleeper you have to walk through all of the coaches and the lounge to get to the diner.

Off on another Surfliner daytrip to GDL on Tuesday.

Best,

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right. I was in the 830 sleeper in March and it was at the head of the train, right behind the transdorm. The diner was behind the sleeper - very convenient and it kept that area of the train very quiet and free from through traffic.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one Seattle sleeper? I was surprised by how easy it was to get a Deluxe Bedroom so close to departure. (We didn't start planning this trip until a month ago when I found out I could use 24,000 Continental OnePass miles instead of paying over $1,000 for two people. Goes up to 30,000 after 04/30/04.)

Looking forward to the trip!

Frank in SBA

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I haven't picked up my ticket yet so I don't know what room I'm in, but it must be in the same car if there is only one Seattle sleeper. I leave tomorrow from Boston to be in Seattle on Fri.; have lunch with my cousin; then head back East on your train. I hope I deserve all this much fun!
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Our Guest Rewards tickets have arrived for the Empire Builder, SEA-CHI departing this Friday, 04/23. We are in Deluxe Bedroom "D", Car 0830. Any idea of where that will put us in the consist? What happens in Spokane when the Portland section is added? Is it just hooked on to the back of the Seattle section?

Very much looking forward to this trip!

Frank in SBA

Hi Frank,

I photographed the Empire Builder departing Seattle two weeks ago tomorrow (Good Friday).

Consist that night was two locomotives, baggage car, transition sleeper (probably will be used for crew only) one superliner sleeper (probably yours), the diner, and two coaches.....a surprisingly short train I thought.

The Portland section will probably be hooked on behind you in Spokane. When I rode Spokane to Portland in July 2002 the Portland section was 4 cars.....the lounge, two coaches, and one sleeper bringing up the rear.

Have a great trip!!!!

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 04-22-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Thanks, Geoff. I guess that means if you are in the Portland sleeper you have to walk through all of the coaches and the lounge to get to the diner.

That's right. You get some good exercise that way!

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page