RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Tipping

Author Topic: Tipping
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this has been discussed before but I'd like to know what suggested tips are onboard. We'll be two people in a Deluxe bedroom for two nights from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder. What would be a good tip for the car attendant? I assume you tip as you would in a restaurant in the diner.

Thanks in advance,

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$15 if the car attendant gets the beds up and down for you and keeps drinks available.

$20 if the car attendant does all the above and makes you think he/she is enjoying the trip, and giving you some useful info about the trip

$25 if he/she does all of that plus makes your trip memorable, such as going out of their way to make you more comfortable, or noticing that you have been drinking bottled water at 10am and the next day it's delivered to your room, or he lets you plug in the coffee because you get up at 4:30am and want that first cup at 5:00am, etc...

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike’s right. If your get service the tip is in order. When I got great service and a caring attitude I would tip $ 15 to $ 25 per trip. The low side was $5 per day unless the service was imaginary. However, One needs to know where the crew changes are. Your may have great service on one part of the trip only learn that the server got off last night at 2AM. Ask your attendant where his trip ends and be sure to tip him or her BEFORE it’s over. Unless they don't offer any service. I have stiffed a few attendants due to surly or non-existent service. Don’t forget to tip at meal service based on menu value of the service. Tips are not included with sleeping car charges.

Jim

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$5-10 for average service per day is what I've heard.

Remember that the more people tip, the more they expect the next time. Also remember that tips are for good service, not just for doing their job.

I tend to tip per night to sleeping car attendants. That way, they might remember the tip the night before and thus give better service from then on. That's the theory anyway. Also, they are unappreciative of the 1st tip, they don't get another! A "thanks" and a smile is all that is required.

Stingy? Well, I work hard for my money, and I expect others to do the same.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that $15-25 is excessive. I start with $5 per night per room for average service and go up from there. I usually tip $10. Even at that rate (assuming everyone tips) they can take in $100-$200 a day on a full car, on top of their wages, which is quite respectable for a day's work.

I also like to tip coach attendants a few dollars if they are good. They seldom get much recognition, and even a small tip really lights them up.

fixj, most train crews are aboard the entire trip. The only exception I know of is the Sunset Limited which changes crews at New Orleans.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tipped $20 on the inbound trip, and had the same attendant the next day and we gave him another $10...So I think $30 was enough. Although I talked to some people in the Parlour Car and they said they were not tipping at all because there attendant was not as nice as ours. In my own book I am in the middle between Mr. Toy and and mikesmith. I would say $10, 15, and 20+ if they were truly excellent. A woman I met on the train said she gave $40 around the holiday time to a very nice man who let her even use him cell phone because hers was lost.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing...Mr.Toy says to tip the Coach car attendant...I think that is the best thing I have heard! They work very hard seating people and some people are very rude to him...And if your on the Coast Starlight in a Sleeper always tip the Parlour Car Attendant! I have him $5 and and he was very appreciative!

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy,
In regards to your statement,

"they can take in $100-$200 a day on a full car, on top of their wages, which is quite respectable for a day's work."

Your nitpicking with this statement. If you get good service, why should you worry about how much the man makes. I've seen good bartenders make as much as $600 a night in tips. That doesn't make him a bad boy. That just shows he did a real good job.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually glad Mr Toy made that statement - it made me think (gotta get another job for one!). I don't begrudge anybody earning that much - IF they work for it. Getting tips just for existing is not right. Working hard for it is.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding my tip suggestion, that does include two people. My wife and I usually discuss how well our car attendant did, and tip accordingly.

(5 days and a wake-up til TRAIN TIME!!!)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
train crews are aboard the entire trip. The only exception I know of is the Sunset Limited which changes crews at New Orleans.

When I rode the Sunset Limited 18 months ago, the same crew rode from Los Angeles to Orlando.

[This message has been edited by CHATTER (edited 04-23-2004).]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
I cant believe they really get 6 days off between trips! Thats nice...but they probaly have other day jobs.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to remember they do stay on the train for the entire round trip when they work. With the exception of the one night layover at their away from home terminal. Some of them put in 18 hour days during that 6 to 8 day trip. Most work over 100 hours a week. I think they deserve 6 days off after that, don't you. The average monthly hours (at 40 hours a week) for most people is 160, but the on board crews work over 200 hours per month.

Yes the on board crew that starts their trip out of LA to FL is the same crew. They are on the rail for 8 days streight.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding crew changes, When I traveled the three rivers, I lost my crew in Pittsburg in the middle of the night. Most other routes I have taken had the crew the entire trip. Just a thought.

Jim

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're back from the trip on the Empire Builder. We had a really great car attendant in car 830 SEA/CHI. We tipped Cheryl $20.00 for two people for two nights. She got us extra water and was always checking to see if we needed anything.

We ended up having all of our meals in the diner. The company was good and service certainly acceptable. The quality of the food was much better than expected. This was menu #5 and I had rack of lamb one night and the steak the next.

The woman in the bedroom next to ours never left it and had all of her meals delivered. I hope she was a good tipper. Cheryl was very pleasant about it so I surmise that that was the case.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Builder is one of the best LD trains I've ridden on. The crew I had was great, too.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was the trip otherwise, Frank? How was the scenery? Were you on time? When was it dark? Was it cold up there this time of year?
I'm trying to make up my mind between the Empire Builder and Zephyr next March or so.
I would like to see an opera in Minneapolis in March, but brrrrrrrr I can hardly think about it!!

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,
My wife & I rode the SL from LAUS to Orlando on 4/2.
In talking with various crew members I found out the following information.
The SL crew does not change in NOL. The crew rides the entire route LAUS-ORL & returns to it's crew base in LA.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miami City I was on the Empire Builder on March 18 and while there was a lot of snow in Glacier Park the rest of the trip was fine. It didn't seem too cold to me when I got out at the station in St. Paul for some exercise. Of course, it's always hit and miss that time of year with storms. But having taking both trains, I would opt for the Builder if you haven't already taken it before.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

CK / Mr Toy - that must have changed sometime in the last few years, as I have experienced crews changing at NOL on all 3 of my travels on board the Sunset, albeit in the late 90s.

Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page