RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Questions about Train Numbers

Author Topic: Questions about Train Numbers
skinsfan31
Member # 910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skinsfan31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how Amtrak assigns train numbers? Are they randomly picked, or do they have historical or geographical significance?

What is the origin of the Texas Eagle and Kentucky Cardinal styles of numbering, where a train has number 21, as an offshoot of train 1, the Sunset Limited, or 850, an offshoot of 50, the Cardinal?

Does anyone know of anywhere where there is a complete list of Amtrak train numbers from its entire history. I know of very few uncurrent train numbers, amounting to:
15, Lone Star South
16, Lone Star North
25, Pioneer West
26, Pioneer East
35, Desert Wind West
36, Desert Wind East
819, Gulf Breeze South
820, Gulf Breeze North

All these trains were discontinued by 1997, when the Desert Wind made its last run.

Would anyone be interested in a database of all Amtrak trains by number, termini, routes, typical consist, or some such thing? Perhaps one could be set up.

Chuck

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck,
Amtrak train numbering, I suppose, is more "geographical" than anything else.
Trains travelling North and/or East are even- numbered.
Trains travelling South and/or West are odd- numbered.

A few examples:
Train 3 (SW Chief) runs Southwest.
Train 4 (SW Chief) runs Northeast.

Train 7 (E Builder) runs West.
Train 8 (E Builder) runs East.

Train 14 (C Starlight) runs North.
Train 11 (C Starlight) runs South.

I'm not sure about your other question, but I hope this helps!

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 11-07-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The transcontinental routes west of the Mississippi were numbered south to north--that is, the southernmost route, the Sunset Ltd., was given numbers 1 and 2; the Southwest Chief, 3 and 4; the San Francisco Zephyr, 5 and 6; the Empire Builder, 7 and 8; and the North Coast Hiawatha, 9 and 10.

Many numbers were inherited from the previous operating railroads, and others followed one system or another--for example, the Metroliners were given numbers in the low 100's, and connecting trains usually got numbers in the 400's.

Amtrak: The First Decade, by Bruce Goldberg, contained a 19-page list of train names and their numbers up to 1981. I have a copy of the book, and if you can't find it yourself I could copy those pages for you. If your screen name indicates that you are Washington Redskins fan (my condolences) maybe you aren't that far away, and I could lend you the whole book. I live in Spotsylvania, VA, and work in Arlington.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the process of compiling a database of train consists, more for tracking particular cars to see where they go, but this could be extended as it's a standard database. A *very rough* start has been made on http://www.simsig.co.uk/amtrak

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Geoff!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Would anyone be interested in a database of all Amtrak trains by number, termini, routes, typical consist, or some such thing? Perhaps one could be set up.<<

Such a page alradu exists, at least to a considerable extent.
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/postings.cgi?action=reply&forum=Amtrak&number=11&topic=000216.cgi&TopicSubject=Questions+about+Train+Numbers

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thedaytheystoppedthetrain
Member # 1115

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thedaytheystoppedthetrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chatter, when I click on the link, it takes me to a "Reply" page for this thread.
Posts: 5 | From: Avon, IN USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I entered the wrong link. Here is the correct one:
http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Amtk/routes.html

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page