RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Newly Painted Amtrak Locomotive Photos !!

Author Topic: Newly Painted Amtrak Locomotive Photos !!
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,
Around 10.30 today, there were two newly painted Amtrak locomotives behind the Amtrak Surfliner. Please see the photo attached. Where these coming from and going to?
Discuss now!

P.S. Please do not use the "reply with quotes" while reply. use regular "post reply" button.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those came from San Yosidro, Amtrak paints there California cars there, I watched one getting painted once, some of it is done by hand, I'm not suprized Amtrak paints there Locomotives there to.

They put those on the Surfliner when they bring them down from San Yosidro to take them to L.A., they'll probly be on the next Starlight up the coast to continue service on the Amtrak California

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not diesel enthusiast to call the model number but these look like that batch of 12 or so diesels Amtrak aquired in the mid-90's to bolster the aging F-40 fleet. They were essentially freight diesels with slight modifications and eventually wound up working out of Chicago. Last time I saw one it and one of those depowered F40's were being used on the Chicago-Louisville 'Kentucky Cardinal'.

The ones I'm thinking of were originally numbered in the low 500's.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 04-28-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arent those Dash-8's, formerly of the Pepsi can paint variety.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look good in the new paint although I think they could do with a bit of red to brighten it up a bit more!

They also look way bigger than the ones we get here in New Zealand!

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
Arent those Dash-8's, formerly of the Pepsi can paint variety.

Yeah....the Pepsi Can scheme. Those are the ones I was thinking of. By 2002 the one I saw in Louisville was in a solid platinum mist with wide blue stripe and smaller red striping.

Glad to see these engines getting a new life.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are the Amtrak California Dash-8 units (owned by the State of California); numbers CDTX 2051 and 2052 (formerly AMTK's 501 and 502).
They usually run the Capitols and San Joaquins. Nice to see them freshened up a bit!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page