RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Need help please-Boston - Orlando

Author Topic: Need help please-Boston - Orlando
NewTrainTraveler
Member # 1147

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for NewTrainTraveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!! I am new to this board and I will be traveling by Amtrak for the first time in March. I am going from Boston to Orlando with a stopover in Washington DC. I am not getting a sleeper - just the coach. I will be traveling with my husband, 11 yr old daughter and my mom. I am trying to find out whatever information I can on the trains. Any feedback would be great. Has anyone traveled this route before? How did you like it? What train is it that you ride?
Thank you!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has some information on its website, and the Amtrak Travel Planner should be available at South Station, Back Bay Station, and Route 128. This booklet has information on accommodations, routes, and destinations.

I have made quite a few Amtrak long-distance trips in coach. When I can afford a long Amtrak trip, coach is it. My wife and I did ride in sleeping cars twice before we had kids, but that was more than 20 years ago. Well, back to the present.

I can fall asleep anyplace quiet, so coach seats aren't a problem for me on overnight trips.

In 1996 I took one of my sons, who was 10 then, by Amtrak to and from Atlanta, which is an overnight trip both ways. He was fine. All of my kids enjoy riding the train.

We used to live in Boston and I've ridden the Shore Line through New England many times, and the rest of the Northeast Corridor as well. I enjoy looking at the scenery and the cities.

I've been as far south only as North Carolina on the Florida trains, but I have found them comfortable. I am sure I would enjoy riding as far as Florida.

It's not unusual for the long-distance trains to end up an hour or more late, so plan a loose schedule on your travel days so that you won't mess up your day if the train does arrive at its destination very late.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're travelling from Boston, you'll probably change trains in New York or Washington D.C. I recommend changing trains in New York, since that's where the Florida trains originate! If you board at the origin point, you have first pick of the seats on board.

I haven't been on the Florida trains, but my Girlfriend and her parents took the Silver Meteor to Deerfield Beach, and she said the service was great! The food in the dining car was excellent.. they were about half an hour behind schedule most of the way.

I've travelled overnight, and I have no problem sleeping in coach, but my larger friend didn't like it. Be sure you bring plenty to keep your daughter entertained along the route. As far as food goes, you can bring snacks with you, or purchase them on-board the train.. for me it's not that expensive, but it could become expensive for a family. The prices in the diners are pretty much equivalent to prices in a restaurant.

What else.. I recommend sitting on the left hand side of the train to view the New England coast. Try to get 4 seats together for the 3 of you.. 2 pairs of seats facing each other will be best, and give you all more room to spread out. I know Canada's VIA rail sets aside groups of seats for more than 2 travellers travelling together.. perhaps you can try to request this from Amtrak when you make your reservations.

Orlando offers checked baggage, and I highly recommend checking your baggage on your Florida train. Keep medicine and other needed items with you as carry-on, because like an airplane, you won't have access to your checked bags!

If I think of anything more, I'll post it here. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me! I have been to the Boston's South station many times, and I can help you with specific questions about the station if have any!

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad to see a new train traveler. Our numbers are growing!

I have slept in coach on the Coast Starlight many times (going as far back as 1974!). It gets easier the more you do it, but the first time can be a little challenging. Plan on an easy day after you get there to rest up. Amtrak provides a mini pillow, but you might want to bring a full size one.

If you easily get chilled at night you might bring a blanket or a jacket to cover up. Last time I just took a sweatshirt and was fine, but it was summer. In winter I usually covered up with my jacket.

When on board you might check to see if there were any cancellations in the sleepers. You can get a good deal on board if there is an opening. Then you meals will be included in your fare.

Diner meals for coach passengers can run as much as $40 per person per day.

Finally, Amtrak is fun, and generally a good service, but they are not perfect. You may encounter a few glitches along the way. If you don't let them get to you it will be a fun trip.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-08-2001).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page