RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited

Author Topic: Sunset Limited
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone been on Sunset Limited going West lately? Last I took it , it was soooo late!

We want to take again in March.

Thanks Becki

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Sunset Limited from Tucson to Jacksonville and back. We actually arrived in Jacksonville about 1/2 hour early. We were running on schedule or ahead of schedule most of the way. On the way back, we were about two hours late, whch for an Amtrak train, I would consider "On-Time".

I really like the Sunset Limited. I like the rural southern Louisiana area on the Mississippi delta best. The swamps and bridges are also enjoyable. It is sad to go by Juarez, Mexico near El Paso. The homes near the border are such slums. It is sad to see that people have to live in such conditions.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're ticketed on the Sunset Limited in April, and I've been curious about arrival times in Union Station.

Amtrak has a link on their web site that lets you check the status of trains -- so I've been watching the Limited off and on over the past couple of weeks. Surprisingly, the train has been running only one-three hours late. 'Course, I guess those times are posted by Amtrak employees, so ... as they say on the Street, past performance is no guarantee etc etc ...

Still, we're looking forward to the trip.

Would be interested in hearing from experienced Limited travelers on this.

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just got back from riding the Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago in several sections. The LA to San Antonio section was about 45mins late into San Antonio, about 15mins of which was lost waiting for the westbound Sunset to clear the station (which was late by a couple of hours). The next through section from LA (which I caught in Fort Worth) was 30mins early arriving in Ft Worth, so the Sunset can't have been more than an hour or two late at San Antonio earlier that morning.

Before catching the Eagle, I was at LA early in the morning. The Sunset had already arrived and gone off for servicing, so that one was on time.

A couple of years ago I caught the Sunset into LA which was 5 hours late, and again a year before that to Orlando which was about 1.5 hours late.

The Sunset in my limited experience can easily keep to schedule. It's the unforeseen events which add up, a few minutes here, a prolonged stop there, and before you know it, you're an hour or more late!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page