RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner I or II on the Zephyr

Author Topic: Superliner I or II on the Zephyr
hurleyjp13
Member # 2167

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for hurleyjp13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be traveling eastbound on the Zephyr this June, in a sleeper. I was wondering if most of the cars are Superliner I's or II's. If they are I's, are most of them refurbished or not? I really don't like the old color scheme of the Superliner I's, don't mind the refurbished color scheme of the I's or that of the II's. Does anybody know?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They dont usualy asign certain Superliners to a Train

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they DO assign certain Superliners to certain trains, though I suppose they are regularly circulated for maintenance and such. For example, the Coast Starlight and the Auto Train, Amtrak's two premier long-distance trains, usually run with Superliner IIs.

I believe that the California Zephyr typically has Superliner Is in the consist, though I have absolutely no idea if they are refurbished or not. Which is a shame, because I'm taking the Zephyr in, let's see, 23 days now (but who's counting?) and I like the IIs much better myself. Oh well, such is life. I hope that was helpful.

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on it April 11th and had a II, but the car next to me was a I. I kind of like the I because of the closet, It keeps things a little neater and out of the way.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have paid more attention, but one thing that really got to me on Superliners was a wall panel covering in the corridors by the standard bedrooms. There was vertical ribbing on the walls. It was a 1" dentil design, one raised, the next lowered, etc.
My problem was, considering the uneven rail architecture on Amtrak's host railroads, one tends to travel these corridors by using the heal of your hand, your elbow and sometimes your hip to help stay upright as well as move forward. Some Superliners have a smooth wall, very good, but other have this ribbing that catches fingers and bones in the wrong way and makes it particularly unappealing to people moving in the corridors. Specially bad is the way it can catch you at a bad movement.
Anyone know if that is S I's or S II's? I wrote Pres. Gunn about it last year but not sure if anything has changed.

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree with TheBriz09 - mostly Is but sometimes IIs.

I don't think the waffle/corrugated effect is typical. I've only seen it twice now and I've been on both Is and IIs.

As for colour schemes, Is are the browns/oranges, IIs are the blues except for certain cars that have been refurbished.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the Zephyr!!

This is one of the more "abused" trains on the system as far as equipment goes. It usualy will run with mostly Superliner I's that have NOT been refurbished yet. For some reason the majority of the Superliner II cars are based out of LA and frequently find their way onto the starlate. The crews on the Zephyr are top notch, so at least your set well there. Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My November 2003 trip on the Zephyr was in a renovated Superliner I. Recently, I have even seen Superliner II's on the Capitol Limited and Southwest Chief. Had a renovated Superliner I on the Chief two weekends ago.

The corrugated wall paneling appears to be a renovated Superliner I feature, as best I can tell. Had this on the Chief once, and that's what it was - a renovated Superliner I. I thought they did a pretty good job on the refurb.

Have heard through another site that they will be selling standards in the Transition Dorm on the CA Zephyr and even Capitol Limited this summer. Is the space they are selling in the Transition Dorm of the Superliner II model? Do not know too much history on the Transition Dorms - are there older models as well? I think they should be selling space in the Transition Dorm - and have the attendant in the adjoining sleeper tend to it to save costs. Amazing how the sleeping car attendants on VIA can handle multiple sleeping cars.

Third sleeper on the Zephyr this summer seems to be up in the air. I bet they don't do it due to the Superliner I refurb program and City of New Orleans wreck.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no Superliner I Transition Dorms, only Superliner IIs.

I agree that the Zephyr will probably not have a third sleeper this summer. Does anybody have any info on possible dates of selling space in Transition Dorms? I am traveling on the May 25 Zephyr, CHI-EMY, and I would be curious to go inside and see the Dorms if there are other passengers in there.

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a sleeping car attendant on a superliner work 2 cars is nearly impossible;
On via one sleeper has approximately 22 beds,
whereas one superliner sleeper has 44 beds
an attendant is responsible for. He cannot be expected to care for an additional 8 rooms (16beds) in another car, it's not feasible.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, when a train is ran with space in the trans dorm being sold as revenue, the coach attendent(s) (Zephyr only runs with 1 coach attendent for 3 cars) or SA's in the dining car doubleing as a Sleeper attendent too.
Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page