RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I know its not a popular thing to do but smoking california zephyr

Author Topic: I know its not a popular thing to do but smoking california zephyr
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am orginally from IL and now live in Nevada, I take the california zephyr home every summer to see my family. In 2002 and 2003 there was a lil smoking area on the lower level even though amtrak on the phone told me there was not. I am worried now because on the net I have found amtrak saying that spot is gone and the train is totally smoke free now but on another website I found conflicting information with that. Has anyone been on the train since late april? is there still a lil smoking area? I know its bad to smoke, I realize this, But it is a very very long train trip and it is emotional going home anyways. And the long times your stuck sitting still and the train not moving in colorado although gorgous is really a nice to go have a lil cig break during. I just want to know what to be prepared for.

Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I think it was the end of last month, (but im not positive) amtrak did away with somking on all of its trains. The on board crew will inform you of "fresh air stops" along the route, where you will be able to get off and have a cig or two. Just be sure to stay close to the train, so as soon as the conductor calls all aboard, you will be able to get back on the train. hope that helps.

Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really no more smoking on Amtrak? What are the Coach Smoking Superliners for? I hate smoking but I'm surprised Amtrak would completely do away with it since they invested in the Coach Smokers.

Maybe there is currently a shortage of them, which could be a possibility as they, and the transition dorms, always seem to be damaged in derailments.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that officially, the no smoking policy took effect with the April schedule change. I think now the only Superliner train with smoking allowed is the Auto Train. Single-level smoker lounges will continue to be used on the Silver Service trains and the Crescent.

I have no idea what they will use the remaining smoker lounges for.

Amtrak's smoking policy: http://www.amtrak.com/plan/smoking.html

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The smell of smoke found its way to the upper level. I imagine there were many complaints. I always had to be sure to avoid being assigned that car even for short 5 or 6 hour trips as the smell was annoying.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All trains are non-smoking except for the auto-train.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. Maybe the smoking section in the Coach Smokers will be turned back into the luggage section, as they were Coach Baggages. Most likely the smoking section will just be used as a lounge area.

I used to notice that not only would the smoke smell spread throughtout the smoking car but it also would find it's way into the Lounge car as, on the Southwest Chief anyway, the Coach Smoking was always the closest coach to the Lounge.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or better yet, how 'bout converting them to kid's rooms like they have on the Starlight?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On page 127 of the latest Amtrak timetable effective 26 April, 2004, it states "All Amtrak trains and Thruway Buses are entirely non-smoking, with the exception of Auto Train, Crescent, Silver Star and Silver Meteor." This notice goes on to say that where smoking is allowed, it is only permitted in a separate enclosed smoking room.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of those Coach smokers casrs should be converted to lower level coach seating as soon as poaaible as Amtrak needs all the revenue it can carry.

Chris

PS That smell not only went into other places on the train but into any luggage that was placed in that car. Talk about second hand smoke!

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its realy anoying when your seat is rite above the smoking lounge and every curve the smoking lounge door slides back open.. See why Below...

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from a trip on both the Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited. Frequent announcements were made on both about Amtrak's new Non-Smoking Policy. In one case it was noted that non compliance could result in removal from train at next stop. Whenever possible (scheduled stops of several minutes)the attendants allowed smokers to get off long enough for a quick smoke.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page