RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » sleepers and the free meals:)

Author Topic: sleepers and the free meals:)
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok I have never been in a postion where i could afford a sleeper before, this summer I might be with 2 kids, not sure yet, just thinking about it, maybe. Now I know you get your meals for free with a sleeper car but with the meals do you get juice and soda? and can mom have a free beer with her dinner? LOL this may seem very little to you guys but I am trying to talk myself into this and you would be suprized on what I have spent on just juice and soda on a 2 day train trip with 2 kids, maybe not totally enough to justify a sleeper but it would help sway my decision! The food dosnt impress me enough alone, my kids hate the train food, and will not touch it so I am gonna have to do other things anyways. I really dont like the food either, but if I could atleast tell myself but hey free juice soda and maybe a beer or two I would feel slightly better about spending all this money.
Is there any way of online seeing the current menus for different trains? I know this seems silly but this is a big decision to go coach or sleeper and I need to over anaylze it I just do!
I just want to see if they have gotten any better since last year. They might of. Do they change them from time to time?

Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh another quick question I had, the delux bedrooms which is what I am looking at, it says it has a plug for shavors and hair dryers, could you plug in battery chargers and things like that in it? Or a small portable cd player, things like that. I just want to make sure its a plain old regular plug, dont want to blow any fuses or bring something I cant use or something.

Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcoholic beverages are not free with a bedroom, but you are allowed to pack your own in the sleeper, and they have ice. Any other beverage is included with your free meal in the diner, and they have complimentary beverages in your sleeper (juice?, coffee, bottled water, maybe soda).

Was the food your kids didn't like in the diner? It is usually quite good and only there is it free. In the lounge you have to pay. The cheese pizza is good. Beer is $3.00.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No more free sodas in the sleepers. But plenty of coffee, juice and bottled water. And our attendant, Cheryl, kept the ice bin full. We brought a box of pretty good wine along that fit nicely in the closet of the Deluxe Bedroom. The coffee was amazingly good, by the way.

There is plenty of stuff that the kids will like in the diner. Breakfast should be no problem. At lunch there's always a very good burger and a nice chicken sandwich. Dinner is more "grown up" but I bet you can find something they will like. There's often a pasta dish. I had a great Rack of Lamb the first night and a very good steak the second.

And, if they like dessert, they will love that part of the meal. The Bodacious Brownie is, well, Bodacious!

This was all on the Empire Builder last month.

The kids on our train all seemed to be having a good time and I didn't see any of them with gameboys or stuff like that. They were watching the scenery or playing small board games or, dare I say it, READING! Another thing I noticed was that there always seemed to be plenty of surrogate grandparents and aunts and uncle around. And that included the crew. One of my fonder memories of my first train trip on the "old" El Capitan was being "adopted" by a waiter in the diner whose name was also Frank.

I hope you can swing the sleeper.

Have a great trip--

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny Story:
My mom (and I as well) didnt know sleeping car passsengers could have alcoholic beverages, so we were sneaking it into the train and it broke in her purse.
Room and purse smelled the rest of the trip.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Two comments:

1) I agree with TwinStarRocket, the cheese pizza in the cafe is very good. It contains no preservatives or additives and has enough carbs to fill up any child, or adult for that matter. At $3 it is a real bargain.

2) On the whole, I think food is reasonably priced on the train. The quality is, in my opinion, excellent for the most part. I would stay away from the Reuben sandwich however. As far as bringing wine on board, I think spillage or breakage is always a possibility and when that happens, it does have a way of creating a strong odor.

My advise is to buy the red wine on board the train. At $8 a half bottle it really is not that expensive. The bottle is kinda cute too and it always gave me a nice "buzz." Most of the red wine I have purchased on board was bottled at the Los Robles winery in California and is quite good. I would stay away from the white wine however that was characterized by one passenger as being "choir boy pee."

Having said all this, I must say I am rather disappointed at those posters who are suggesting that you bring alcohol on board the train. It's kind of sad to hear this talk from afluent people who can certainly afford to shell out a few bucks to purchase their drinks legitimately, from the cafe car.

Bottom line: If you can afford a sleeper, you certainly can afford to buy alcohol from the cafe car.

Furthermore, I suspect that bring alcohol on board is a violation of Amtrak's policy.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my recent trip from Seattle to Chicago I brought a bottle of wine I purchased at one off the Washington vinyards. The attendant fetched me a glass from the adjacent diner so I wouldn't have to drink it in a plastic cup. It was a nice after dinner drink on the two nights I was aboard.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Page 127, Amtrak System Timetable, Spring/Summer 2004--

Alcohol: Passengers are not permitted to consume their private stock of alcoholic beverages in a public area. Only Sleeping Car accommodations for which a passenger has a valid ticket are considered non-public areas.

The current Chardonnay is a Meridian Vineyards 2001 Santa Barbara County. A very nice wine for $8.00 the half bottle. I didn't try the Pinot Grigio so can't speak to that. For some reason the same bottle is a dollar less in the Cafe Car and on the Surfliners. Corkage?

We usually travel with a nice quality box wine to avoid the spillage/breakage problems. On a two or three day trip it's a nice convenience. We were not offered glassware from the diner on our trip on the Empire Builder but I'm sure it would not have been a problem. The car attendant and diner staff were great. The Cafe Car attendent much less so.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nirvanagurl:
oh another quick question I had, the delux bedrooms which is what I am looking at, it says it has a plug for shavors and hair dryers, could you plug in battery chargers and things like that in it? Or a small portable cd player, things like that. I just want to make sure its a plain old regular plug, dont want to blow any fuses or bring something I cant use or something.

The bedrooms have a standard three-prong outlet. It says "shavers only" but it is suitable for any light duty use, such as electronics. It won't handle any high wattage devices like hairdryers (hence the "shavers only" label).

I would suggest you not plug electronics into the outlet directly. Voltage may be uneven, so I recommend you get an inexpensive four-outlet surge supressor.

As for the diner food, I seem to recall reading that you had a bad experience once. Generally, I have found the dining car food to be mostly good, and sometimes excellent. Its not always 100%, and there have been a few clinkers in there, but overall it is pretty civilized food. Beverages are included with meals.

In the sleeping car, as others have noted, juice, water, and coffee are usually available. But official Amtrak policy is that free juice is only available in the morning. However, on our last trip the juice was available all day.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sample menu is available somewhere on www.amtrak.com

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must argue the point of the electrical outlets. I have used a hairdryer although it was a travel one, not real powerful. On my last trip, someone asked our attendent if the outlets were just for shavers and he said no, you can use them for anything.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page