RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » another question re sleepers standard vs delux

Author Topic: another question re sleepers standard vs delux
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking through them again now the standard would be alot cheaper for us, that one I could afford for sure, but it says we exceed recommended ppl, which my daughter is only 4, she is tiny, I planned on sharing a bed with her so I am not really worried about being squished, me and her have squished and slept across coach seats with our legs all bended up and stuff so I am thinking the little cot in sleeper has to be somewhat better. She may even end up curled up with her brother or whatever and thats fine. But will they allow us to do that? Can you get a sleeper that was made for 2 adults if you have 1 adult and 2 kids and one of the kids is very tiny still?
Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and the standards have a plug too right? i am worried about the plug thing for my son's gameboy battery charger thing and I found a tiny little plug in tv with vcr thing on ebay i might buy but it dosnt run on batteries it has to be plugged in.

Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my recent trip on the Eagle the lady across from me had two small children in a standard. She kept the upper bunk down during the day and one or both played up there while she sat below.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two kids and an adult will easily fit into a standard. I did it with my twins when they were about 10 with both in the lower. The lower bed is slightly bigger. The upper is very close to the ceiling, and might be a risk for a very small child because the net that prevents you from falling out has space at each end they might fit through. No window in the upper bed.

We had to purchase a coach ticket we did not use for the 3 of us to travel in a standard, and only 2 of us got free meals in the dining car. Kids might be able to share a free adult meal.

There is almost no floor space with the beds up or down. The single seats face each other and you kind of share foot space, but you do have privacy. The lounge car is always a daytime option.

The plugs in standard bedrooms will work for battery chargers, but hair dryers might be pushing it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the web page application simply won't let you put 3 individuals in a Standard sleeping compartment (notice that I didn't call it a "room") because the web page is probably "hard-coded" so as to permit only 2 passengers per compartment. Twin Star Rocket's solution sounds like a viable option.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can put one adult and two small children into a standard. The web application says that the recommended capacity of the room is exceeded, but they'll let you book it. (Hey, they get an extra rail fare without giving up a seat in coach!) If they insist on giving you only two meals per standard room in the dining car, then if the children are young enough they can split an adult meal. Since drinks and desserts are included, there is always plenty of food. As far as sleeping, the children can sleep with their heads at either end and have their feet meet in the middle. Just remember that a standard room has about as much space as two pair of coach seats; don't expect a hotel room. With the beds made down you will have no floor area in the room.

Also, there are electrical outlets on the train in all sleeping car rooms. If the item you want to plug in is one of those plugs that's built into a transformer, you may want to get a short cord to plug the transformer into, because some of the outlets are recessed. (The wire from the plug needs to come out the back, and not out the bottom.) As far as the TV/VCR thing for the room - it's a great idea for kids! We always bring our portable DVD player with us on the train; it keeps the kids entertained.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two girls (9 and 4) and I are going from Chicago to D.C. in a deluxe sleeper. Two questions: The price on the younger ones ticket is just $16.00. Is that considered the "extra coach fare"? Or will I be hit with an extra charge at departure? I bought my tickets in person at our local station and the agent didn't say anything about extra charges. Also, if only two of us get free meals, can the youngest one be the extra paying customer? She is the one who will eat the least. What if she leaves most of her meal and eats mine instead, as happens occasionally? And I thought you had to pay for sodas at meals now???
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigger, as far as I know, if you paid and have your tickets, than there will be no extra charge. Just check you tickets to make sure they have the correct information on them.

Someone who knows more than me can confirm this, but unlike the standard room, I think you can get three meals with the deluxe.

If you cannot, than yes, the youngest can be the extra paying customer, but you probably don't need to buy a meal for them. You are entitled to a complete meal for two adults including salad, entre, beverage (that means one soda each) and dessert. You may share the two meals with the youngest and all three of you may still have leftovers! (I still think deluxe rooms get three meals when booked for three people)

Sodas are no longer free in your sleeper, but a drink - coffee, tea or soda is still a part of your paid-for meal. You can even get a side of meat added to breakfast (say bacon to go with those eggs) for no extra charge.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigger, FYI:
Deluxe bedrooms get three meals per room. Each passenger that needs a ticket should have a ticket coupon. If you have one for each of your children, you are all set.
If there are three of you, they will not only allow you to get meals for each person (regardless of age) they actually enouraged us to do so. (I said to the waiter that two of my children could share, but he said "But if they got their own, they could get something different and then eat the items they liked best!") Also, the meals are more than enough for an adult, especially since non-alcoholic drinks and desserts are included. They always have refilled tea, juice, or milk whenever I have asked; soda comes in cans but I've never known them to be stingy in the diner on refills, so I think it would apply to soda as well.
No more soda in teh sleepers, though. However, they do have juice and bottled water. (Amtrak's official policy is that juice is available only during breakfast hours, but our attendants have left it out until it's gone, and there was always some left even at the end of the trip.)
Hope this helps.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh they are now getting stingy on the beverages in the diner! On my cross country trip a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get a bottled water AND a soda - like I used to get. And I was limited to one soda. Very strict on the Lake Shore Limited. Southwest Chief they bent the rules a little - but not much. I could get a soda with diner and tea for dessert. Go figure. Perhaps if you stick with tea, coffee, or iced tea - something that does not come to the table pre-packaged, you will be fine. This is something new I have encountered. Not a fan of the lack of drinks and snacks in the sleepers either. Would be nice if you could get a couple of perks like this in First Class.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife & I just came off of our annual train trip and, on the Southwest Chief, she got her 7-up imitation (Slice?) and bottled water with every lunch & dinner. We both got (cranberry & orange) juice and coffee with our breakfasts.

Water and juice were available all day long in the sleepers (sure... it was apple juice in the afternoons, but better than nothing...)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found, traveling southeast coast to northwest coast every year, that the amount and type of liquid refreshments, etc. per sleeper car, depends a lot on the attendant.

Some are very service minded and always have fresh ice, sodas, bottled water, etc. Others don't seem to care much. I've had both types.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page