RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pacific Parlour Cars out of service?

Author Topic: Pacific Parlour Cars out of service?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone on an AOL board reports that three of the Pacific Parlour Cars are bad ordered and are out of service. Can anybody confirm this or have more info?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yez Boz
Member # 2938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yez Boz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats bad ordered?
Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I hope not because I'm taking the Starlight for the first time in 15 days and I want to use the Parlor Car!
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yez Boz
Member # 2938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yez Boz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just be careful TheBriz09 you might be bad ordered around!

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I'm on the Starlight tonight - first time in first class. I have to admit I'll be disappointed to find this report is true.
JAG

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the best part about a sleeper on the starlight!

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Nobody here knows anything, so unless something more solid comes in I'm going to chalk this one up as unsubstantiated rumor. I would think that if it were true, somebody here would be able to confirm it. Equipment changes tends to make the rounds pretty quickly among Amtrak railfans.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in your wonderful country last week and on the Monday (May 3rd) I saw both the Northbound and Southbound CS go through Grover Beach and both had parlour cars. I was going to post a thread as I was surprised at the length of the Northbound consist: it had baggage, transition, three sleeper, parlour, diner, lounge and FIVE coach (although my experience is limited, I've never seen more than three coach on a LD train). The southbound was running about three hours late with three coach and the parlour car at the very rear behind the sleepers.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Williams, The Starlight is one of Amtrak's most popular trains, and it is quite common this time of year to see five coaches and three sleepers. During the slow season, it tends to shrink to three coaches and two sleepers, which is typical of most LD trains.
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The post about Parlors out of service was from an as reliable source as you can get, and yes, most are badordered. They normally substitute a 2nd sightseer lounge as a "quasi" parlor, although one consist within the past week ran without a substitute, just sleepers, diner, lounge, coaches.

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socalsteve
Member # 2406

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for socalsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed Wednesday while taking the Metrolink to work that there was a Parlour car parked toward the far end (furthest from Union Station) of the yard, and it had been in the same place for about a week. There was also what appeared to be a Coast Starlight consist made up with a Parlour car in it.

Whatever the problem is, they better fix it by next month when I'm scheduled to take the Starlight!

[This message has been edited by socalsteve (edited 05-14-2004).]

Posts: 5 | From: Corona, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any kind of discout offered? seems you really don't get your moneys worth if its not included. After all, there is a truth in advertizing law.

[This message has been edited by Room Service (edited 05-14-2004).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each time I have taken the Coast Starlight, there's always someone who says - "you mean Amtrak doesn't have these types of cars [Pacific Parlour] on all its routes for first class passengers?" I sadly remark - "nope, this is the only train that has it." Even my father had that comment - he was in quite a shock, as we had just completed a trip across Canada on Via. He commented - "I am glad I had the best first."

Western travelers should consider themselves lucky with even the Sightseer Lounge - we only have Amfleet Lounges on the East Coast long distance trains (yuck!).

However, I am just glad Amtrak is still running the current system! Although a Viewliner lounge would be nice.

Hope the Parlour Cars get fixed! In November, the Pacific Parlour Car in my consist had temperature control problems, so I am not surprised to see them badordered. They need another round of tender loving care!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only there were more Santa Fe Hi-Level lounges. Six makes them quite rare, and if a few are out for servicing that makes them all the rarer. Oh well, my fav's the Southwest Chief and we have no such luxury. Kind of a shame to put them on the Starlight and not on their home rails (Santa Fe all the way )
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by pismobum:

The post about Parlors out of service was from an as reliable source as you can get, and yes, most are badordered.

I actually don't have a "source" only a rumor on another board ("someone told me" sort of thing). He did say that the train he was on had no Parlour Car, but didn't say if a sightseer lounge had been substituted or not.

We still have no specifics. How many are out of service, why are they out of service, and when will they be back in service? From what I'm reading many if not most trains are still going out with Parlour Cars, and according to a previous post only one Parlour Car has actually been seen idle.

The person on the other board says three are out out of service. Can anyone confirm this? I remember about this time last year it was common to see sightseer lounges substituted for Parlour Cars because the spare was at Beach Grove. Perhaps that is the situation again?

dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope the parlour cars are in service by mid-June. It's one thing I always look forward to on my Fla. to Ore. annual rail trip. And, late as it always is, I still enjoy the Sunset. Just have to adjust my ETAs.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DixieBreeze: When are you going out on the Sunset? I have a mid June trip on #1 also.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving 5/15 for points west and northwest.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Oops! Make that 6/15 Superstar.
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Must be getting too late! I meant Silverstar lol.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silverstar - Superstar

Given 91/92's expanded consist during the CSX trackwork I would call it the 'Super Star'.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
LOL notelvis, I'll bet there were some chagrined passengers traveling those CSX rails in April and early May. Glad to see the track repair, though.
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from my trip on the Starlight. NB on 5/13 had no Pacific Parlor Car. SB on 5/16 had no Parlor Car. SB on 5/17 had Nanette's Pacific Parlor Car (Yeeeaaaa!!) as did the NB on that day, since I saw it pass as we waited on a siding.
Trip report later.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is i believe 5 of these cars(not sure some1 out there must know).The cars are known for bad Boggies and electrical problems(mostly electrical probs). Last year 1 caught fire from an unprotected wire. The fill in Sightseer Lounge is a joke. It sucks. I dont know if its me but those have got 2 be the most unconfortable seats ever.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a source who confirmed that 2 Pacific Parlour Cars have been operating recently with a 3rd returned to one of the train sets today (Tuesday). Thus 3 of the 4 sets of equipment now have one.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The northbound CS from LA on 5/25 did not have a Parlour car. A Lounge car was in it's place. This would confirm the previous post that no more than three Parlour cars are in service. If you are travelling on the CS in the future just add 4 days to this train to see if you will end up with the consist without a Parlour car, or hope it is put back in service first.
Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, Thursday 05/27/04, the Northbound Starlight had a Parlour Car. We chased it into town as I headed back to SBA from LAX (the airport).

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The southbound Starlight, originating on May 27, did not have a Parlour Car (darn it!) which I guess makes sense based on previous posts, since the LA northbound on the 25 and the 29 would be the same trainset. The northbound on May 28 DID have a Parlour Car.
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday's (06/02/04) Northbound Starlight (#14) had a Parlour car.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sci_guy
Member # 3124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sci_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just returned and will post a trip report soon. But, I can confirm that some of the Pacific Parlour Cars are out of service. However, the #14 on 24 May had one (I didn't get the car number) and the #11 on 31 May had one car# 39975. Hugo, our car attendent on the #14 said that he had just made the trip earlier that week with a Sightseer Lounge in place of the PP.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page