RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroads Getting Naming Rights

Author Topic: Railroads Getting Naming Rights
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think one railroad might grab naming rights to a Ballpark or Arena?

Im a Cards fan and we all were trying to come up with the New Stadiums name.

I came up with Union Pacific Field. It could be nicknamed "The Freight Yards"

Like Houstons Minute Maid Park, nicknamed the Juice Box.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, but only if the venue is track
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping U.P. would go for the naming rights of the new arena in Omaha, NE, considering it is just blocks from their new Headquarters. However, the cash seems to be a little tight for them. I hope someday the mighty UP can get back to glory, but it won't happen anytime in the near future.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superchief
Member # 3112

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi im coming to you from anaheim Ca

trains are sacred but Baseball is holy

stick to team pride baseball brother

try Cardinal Field

Posts: 15 | From: Orange California USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I would like it to be Cardinal Field, this is the 21st century.
The age of 100 million dollar contracts(including Albert Pujols), 5 dollar hot dogs, and 20 dollar nose bleed seats.

Baseball is about money nowadays and with the Cardinals building this multimillion dollar facility the Cards will need all the money they can get, especially 100 million dollars for naming rights.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody who follows major league baseball after 8/12/94 is a complete idiot.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superchief
Member # 3112

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
loser...
And why the hell is that?

Posts: 15 | From: Orange California USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP could name their ballpark "Borg Field".During the 7th inning stretch,their fans would chant"Resistance is futile.You will be assimilated".

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by irish1:
anybody who follows major league baseball after 8/12/94 is a complete idiot.

Was that the day you didnt make a baseball team and gave up?

EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of course that date in August of 1994 was the day baseball's most infamous strike began. How old are you UncleBuck....must be pretty young if you can't remember that.

Maybe I'm just too much of a sucker for the game that I couldn't stay angry about it for too long.

Also irish1, you couldn't hold a grudge that long about that strike, unless you are either a woman or a Montreal Expos fan (since its the only year in my lifetime they were in line for the playoffs).

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new stadium in St Louis??!! Say it ain't so. I'll bet Jack Buck is turning over in his grave. And now I am starting to feel old: I remember going to Sportsmans Park in North St Louis as a kid. Watched them build Busch Stadium, which I think is one of the best parks in the country for fans to watch baseball. But I guess the new one will be near light rail. I can only hope it will be as good for fans as Busch Stadium.

St. Louis was a big RR town, too. Even when I was a kid there were several long distance trains a day in and out. Too bad that as a nation we rarely (if ever?) spend that kind of money of upgrading railroad stations that we do on sports facilities. Union Station in St Louis was a great place to catch trains...

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Im not that young and I remember the Strike.

In fact I did my Sophmore research paper on the effects of a salary cap in baseball.
Trust me, Baseball is better off without it.

Busch Stadium is quite an old stadium. Its a cookie cutter stadium, which are only supposed to last 30-40 years. Busch will have lasted from 1966-2005.

I don't know how much closer the metro link can get to the new stadium, to be closer than it was to Busch, since the Busch Stadium stop was across the street from the stadium.

BTW I mearly said that to Irish because really what you said Empire Builder, anyone who holds a grudge against the game because of the strike should get a talkin to.

irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a woman or an expo fan. in fact i was a big yankee fan. i do not mind the money these guys make. what i do mind is when they dont appreciate it. this was not there first strike. it was about there 13th. still a big baseball fan but i will not support major league baseball. yes it has been a 10 year grudge.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superchief
Member # 3112

Rate Member
You know being an angel fan is great. Getting back to trains, the surfliner goes right to Angel Stadium and I was in heaven on sunday when I was able to watch trains come and go from the station.

And BTW, Irish1, you are a bitter old man.
I can see where you lost your way being a Yankee fan.

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see any "rails" stepping up to the plate for stadium naming rights. The dollars involved are too large.

But there are other rail-close facilities...brand new Petco Park (San Diego) and Camden Yards (Baltimore). The Baltimore field is actually built where a yard used to be but I don't think CSX or MARC have any prominent names on it.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess if it were AMTRAK Stadium the games wouldn't start on time.
Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got this naming rights thing all backwards.

Amtrak NEEDS the money.

Instead we need the

Samsonite Coach Car

Verizon Wireless Observation Car

Kmart Sleeper Car

Or maybe entire routes like the:

Altell Adirondack

MinuteMaid Silver Meteor

NBC/Viacom Southwest Chief and

Pepsi Presents Pacific Surfliner

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but there was nothing wrong with Bush Stadium
they want more club box seats
who will buy them all at those prices? not enogh corperations left in St.louis area to support that
i agree with you Empire Builder

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, kjkober, you could be onto something. Maybe Amtrak should sell naming rights on the NEC trains.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Busch Stadium is a great facility but its exceeded its maximum expected lifetime and apparently its costing the Cardinals enough to where a new stadium would be best.

BTW Seattle also has its Amtrak station right next to Safeco Field and I think its Invesco Field.

Also
-Great joke Ira.
-Yankees Suck.
-Amtrak would never waste its precious dollars on naming rights to a ballpark.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kkober, what a great idea! I esp like minute maid silver meteor
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page