RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » WHERE ARE THE CHIEFS?!

Author Topic: WHERE ARE THE CHIEFS?!
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ride Amtrak every year from coast to shining coast and I very sincerely miss the onboard Chief of service. Even with delays and deplorable ETA records, all Chiefs I encountered managed to make the trip more pleasurable.

I know their positions were deleted in yet another economy move, but I think it was a big mistake.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who does the job of the chief of onboard services?

If I understand it correctly, The conductor was in charge of everything in the entire train but concentrated on train operation while the chief of onboard services was in charge of all the passengers and everyone who served them directly. Am I correct?

Does the conductor now perform this service, also?

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my recent experiences, the absence of the Chief hasn't been a problem. In the diner if there is a problem, the steward is the person to talk to. If there is a problem elsewhere, the conductor is the one to resolve issues (as it was in earlier Amtrak days). But I haven't had occasion to appeal to either supervisor, as the crews have all been on top of things without being led by a chief.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page