RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Help Part Deux!

Author Topic: Help Part Deux!
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again! It seems that my trip to Canada is going to be more difficult than I first envisaged.

Now I've got the disappointment of missing the Adirondack out of the way and am resigned to taking the Bus it seems that ONLY US Citizens can do this over the internet! Not even my travel agent is able to book me a bus seat! The web site reports that a valid US address and credit card must be used and the name on the US credit card will be the name of the traveller. Even if I send my friends in the US some money they still can't buy a ticket for me! (Incidently I'm going to Plattsburgh now and will travel from there to Canada/Montreal for the day)

So does anybody here know of an alternative form of transport that will get me from Schnectady to Plattsburgh?

Is there a "commuter" rail service that will do this trip?

I could, when I arrive in Schnectady just go to the bus station and buy the ticket but I'm worried it might be sold out which will leave me stranded!

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are arriving in the U.S. on or after 19 June/04, you may just possibly be able to connect with a new cross-lake ferry from Rochester N.Y. to Toronto Ont. I say "may" because there have been several delays with this new Australian-built catamaran. It was supposed to have started service on the first of May, but after a slight accident with the piers of New York, and now some engine problems, it has a new start-date of 19 June. I am booked on this ship called "The Breeze" for the 19th, and I'm anxious to see if it turns out to be a reliable service. As I live in Toronto, it could be a useful connection with the Lake Shore Ltd. to/from New York and Chicago. Their website is www.thebreeze.com. Their timetable shows three departures from Rochester at 7:30 am, 1:30 pm and 7:30 pm. You could take the Lake Shore Ltd to Rochester, cross Lake Ontario to Toronto and then connect with one of several Via trains to Montreal.

I wish to emphasize that the service has not yet started (although The Breeze is currently in Toronto undergoing repairs to the engine) and I have no idea if it is everything that has been promised by its promoters. One-way passage fares are quoted as $28 (U.S.)

Good luck, and I hope you make it to Canada.

[This message has been edited by royaltrain (edited 05-20-2004).]

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that idea royaltrain but I arrive in Schenectady on the 12th... too early for that... I've just been informed by a friend in NYC that there's a train that goes from Schenectady to Plattsburgh, if anybody knows anything about this it would help...
Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went back to read your original posting, and it would appear that you are leaving Los Angeles on the 9th of June. You will be arriving too early for the cross lake Breeze. One other possiblity that was forced upon me by many late trains, is to depart the Lake Shore Ltd. in Buffalo N.Y., take a taxi or limo across the border to Niagara Falls Ontario Canada, where you will most likely miss the local Via train to Toronto. There is, however, hourly bus service from the station across the street from Via, and in less than two hours you will be in Toronto where you could connect with one of several Via trains to Montreal. If luck is with you, you should arrive in Montreal on the 12th.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thank you again but I've found a saviour who will buy me the bus ticket (phew) which means I'm back on track... again!

I wonder what's next?

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is: Go one stop past Schenectady to Albany, stay downtown in the Omni overnight (there are decent restaurants and things to see, Albany is the capital of NYS) and take the train next day to Montreal. If all goes well, it's the prettiest train ride in the east (just be sure to sit on the right side facing forward (the engineer's side) northbound). Though it is much slower than the bus (or renting a car and driving--have you considered that at all? I'm sorry I missed your earlier posts and don't know).

Another idea, have you looked into switching in Buffalo for the Toronto train and going to Toronto, then taking the Viarail (Canadian train) from Toronto to Montreal? I am not sure if those times work out, but I got Viarail tickets on line at half price last year, and the exchange rate is very good.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 10

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak "Adirondack" leaves NY City and goes to Albany, NY, & ends up in Montreal. The "Maple Leaf" originates in Washington, DC, goes to NY City, Albany, Buffalo & then ends in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 22 | From: Fullerton, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks sojourner but staying overnight was never an option as I had to be in Montreal (or thereabouts) no later than the 12th. I'm going to the Formula One race there on the 13th. My friend who I'm meeting has told me he's secured accom at Plattsburgh so I have to go there. Sunday morning we'll leave early and drive to the Montreal track from there.

Another friend from the Formula One Forum I go to has told me he will get a bus ticket for me from SDY to Plattsburgh as I've been prevented from doing so.

Once again the trip is back on "track" LOL

Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks for the info Ray. Things are fixed now so hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here...
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The "Maple Leaf" originates in Washington, DC"

Since when does the Maple Leaf originate in Washington DC? It leaves NYP at 7:15 a.m. in the morning. There's probably a connecting train from DC, but not the most passenger friendly schedule. The Maple Leaf originating in DC would require an engine change (and potential turning of equipment) in order to proceed onto the Empire Corridor.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rheboi--

I think all of us who have been following your postings here are just about as excited as you are about the trip. Hopefully you'll be able to post trip reports from along the way or after you get back to "Enn Zed". And I hope you find the Yanks and Canucks as friendly and helpful as I found you Kiwis.

Best,

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks sbalax It's interesting indeed to see others are "excited" about my trip! But I tell you nobody is anywhere excited as I am! I keep forgetting to breathe!! ROFL!!

Anyways as to helpful Americans I've found two already, one is a New Yorker who is arranging the Bus ticket for me as I can't do it! Fantastic...

I was going to take a lap top with me and do a travelling report but now the owner of the lap top tells me I can't use it... so the trip report will have to wait until I get back and write it. Only a couple of weeks to go now.... plus a couple of days... LOL

espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! Sounds like a great trip!I will be waiting anxiously for your trip report whwn you get home!

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page