RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Are the plugs grounded?

Author Topic: Are the plugs grounded?
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can’t remember if the a/c plugs in the sleepers are grounded? I’d like to bring a surge power strip for my cell phone, gps and scanner, and they are much happier with grounded surge protected plugs. I do remember that those black a/c to d/c adapters did not fit due to a recessed plug, but I can’t remember if it had the ground.

Jim

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search and found several posts from the past that stated that sleepers have plugs and they are all the three prong grounded type.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can confirm that.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean I can watch movies on my DVD player in sleeper?
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I would have a small surge protector just in case. It will protect your DVD player, allow multiple items to be plugged in, and it will solve any problems with plugging in a device that has the transformer attached to the plug. The plugs in sleepers are sometimes (most of the time?) recessed somewhat into the wall.

Have fun.

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the use of a surge protector for electronic devices. It is cheap insurance. Train voltage may not always be consistent, and electronics don't like that.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with the AC Outlets is as follows: All outlets are the 3 prong type, the old 2 prong outlets you can't even buy anymore. I have a $10 Radio Shack Single Outlet Surge Protector that has a Protected Light and a Grounded Light on it. In Viewliners, the AC outlets are grounded as both lights light up on the surge protector when plugged in. On Superliner I Sightseer Lounges, Amfleet I And Amfleet II Coaches and Cafe Cars, those outlets though 3 prong, are not grounded as only the Protected Light lights up. I've never had a problem with any of these outlets and I usually always end up plugging in either my cell phone or computer when onboard.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page