RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards questions - stopovers/ sleepers

Author Topic: Guest Rewards questions - stopovers/ sleepers
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to redeem my Guest Rewards points and take a trip soon. I have 40,000 points.

I notice on the redemption page, it says AMTRAK TRAVEL, 1-WAY.

Are stopovers allowed en route?

This trip would be with sleeper space, which is for two people.

Would my wife need a separate coach ticket?

Or do the points cover that?

I'm going to take the Calif. Zephyr from Osceola, Iowa, nearest station to Kansas City area, to Sacramento/ San Fransisco area.

Coach from Bay Area to Truckee or Reno with a stopover at Lake Tahoe area, in July.

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you redeem your points - do yourself a favor and make sure you do it by phone with an agent. This also can ensure that you get the room that you want, if you have a preference with sleeping room numbers. When you redeem points for a sleeper, it covers two people. So, your wife would not have to buy a coach ticket etc. I don't think stopovers are allowed - perhaps the agent can come up with something creative. Good luck!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm traveling on the Zephyr from Sacramento to Denver using Guest Reward points in about two weeks. This will be my first trip using Guest Rewards.

Stopovers en route are not permitted as part of the guest rewards redemption. (I asked that when I called while planning my trip!).

Maybe you could use your points for travel between Osceola and Truckee, stop over, and then actually travel in purchased coach tickets on to Sacramento or the Bay Area....that way you're starting on building your points back up!!!!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reserved my tickets. Thanks for the replies.

I'm traveling OSC to SAC via std. sleeper; my wife is flying to SFO the same day I'm leaving. I'll meet up with her in SAC. She will take Amtrak Capitol to SAC.

We'll rent a car and drive to Tahoe area.

Will return car to SAC and board Calif. Zephyr EB to OSC, standard sleeper.

I'm glad I acted soon. The family/deluxe rooms are all sold out for that day (Thursday departure in July - not 4th of July) and there are only a handful of std. sleepers open.

I'm not one that has a big budget either to take sleepers all the time. I'm using 40k guest rewards points for the RT sleeper. The deluxe would require 30k one-way; 20k one-way for standard.

When traveling by myself, on a 7 day cross-country consecutive train trip, I usually rotate: start first night in coach and every other night in sleeper. 2 nights in coach can be hectic.

-Doug

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to use Guest Reward Points on the Auto Train this November to head south. Has anyone used them on AT?
If I use them does it have to be my car? I will be traveling with my wife and in-laws. The car belongs to my in-laws.
I know I will pay for the car freight but will the Guest Rewards point be for just me in a Standard Bedroom and my wife? Or will my wife need to Guest Rewards for her part of the Standard Bedroom?

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn''t matter who the car belongs to, but you will need info as to if car is sedan, or suv or van type.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOKS - I realize you have already reserved your tickets, but for the future, if you are traveling to the Tahoe area, the Truckee stop is MUCH closer than Sacramento!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Rich,
I'm aware that Truckee is a lot closer than SAC.

However, there's spectacular scenery between there and SAC.

Plus my wife's going to be in SF, so we're renting at SAC, returning car at SAC, so we can get that spectacular scenery in.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page