RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Adirondack

Author Topic: Adirondack
FrankX
Member # 1160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrankX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking about taking Amtrak from Philly to Montreal. I would be interested in any info on the trip. Does it run on time? Is it scenic? etc

Frank X.

Posts: 1 | From: Lansdale, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulfnshore
Member # 1201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulfnshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two choices. NE Direct to New York and then transfer to the adirondack and Vermonter with a bus transgfer in St Albans
Posts: 17 | From: new york | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,
The trip is very scenic. The train passes through valleys, mountains, and along Lake Champlain.
I'm not sure about on-time stats, but you can check the train status on Amtrak's website. Do this for several days to get an idea about how the train runs.
Here is the Adirondack site, if you want to read more about it: http://northeast.amtrak.com/trains/adirondack.html

Hope this helps,
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of the routes are very scenic.
The Adirondack requires an early departure from Philadelphia to connect to Montreal. The train travels along the Hudson River all the way from New York City to Albany. You will be within a stones throw of the river most of the way. You will travel along the shore of Lake Champlain prior to crossing into Canada.
The Vermonter departs from Wash. DC & does not require a change of trains in New York City. I would suggest traveling to Montreal on the Adirondack & returning to Philly on the Vermonter. It does require a very early departure from Montreal via bus connecting to the train in St. Albans Vermont. I believe the scenery through Vermont would negate the inconvenience of transferring from the bus & you could travel home without changing trains in NYC.
Have a great trip & please let us all know how it goes.
Yours, Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode both routes some years ago. The Adirondack is wonderfully scenic--I think some TV show or publication rated it one of the most scenic and North America, and, having been on quite a few lines around the country, I would rate it near the top.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm *hoping* to take a similar trip- starting in on the Adirondack in Albany to Montreal and taking the Vermonter to Hartford. I monitored the on-time stats a while ago when I was also planning on taking the Adirondack, but didn't due to a freight derailment. I wouldn't expect there to be more than an hour late on the NB Adirondack. This can be due to the customs inspection, or just slow orders, but I'd guess an average lateness would be 45 minutes.

The NB Vermonter seems to always be on time when I take it North to connect with the WB LakeShore. (Coincidentally, that's how I'll get back to Albany to complete the loop.) One time, due to an engine mal-function, it was an hour late, but it's usually on-time arriving into Hartford, and I can usually depend on this train being there if I want to see some action down at the station. How it does North of Springfield, I'm not sure.

Both routes are very scenic from what I've heard. I've been as north as Rutland on the Ethan Allen, and the scenery is great. I had to take a bus to Montreal instead of the Adirondack that one time, and even from the bus, the vistas were spectacular. On the Vermonter, I've only been as far north as Bellow's Falls, which is a nice trip, but once you really get into the green mountains, you're in for the best scenery, I'd imagine. I've only seen this territory from the highway too..

Yeah, so take the trip- you won't be disappointed.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page