RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Long Beach to Union Station

Author Topic: Long Beach to Union Station
V/line
Member # 2199

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for V/line     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, in a fortnight I will be taking a very short holiday from Melbourne, Australia where I live, to Los Angeles. I'm meeting a friend who will be flying down from San Fransisco & we are taking a short 3 day cruise off Long Beach, he is taking a break from his stressful job. Anyway, the cruise arrives back at Long Beach at 8 AM, Monday,14th June & we are hoping to take the light rail back to Union Station to enable us to catch The Coast Starlight back to Emeryville on the same day. Is this achievable as I believe there is an 8.45 AM light rail service from Long Beach.
Is it far from the wharf at Long Beach to Long Beach Transit Mall? Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike.

Posts: 8 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll never get off the ship by 8:45. They must be cleared by customs and that could take some time. I wouldn't risk it. Stay in LA or better yet, at the Queen Mary in Long Beach. You'll dock right next to her. They say she's haunted, which would make for an interesting night. Then take the Coast Starlight the next day, just to be safe. Have fun!! Eat plenty!!
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how far the LB transit mall is from the LB cruise terminal.

As for riding the MTA Blue Line, it runs every 12-15-18 minutes (something like that) and you will need to transfer to the MTA Blue Line at 7th/Metro Ctr. {thanks for correcting me}

I agree with Genesis's advice to spend a day in Long Beach or the LA area, rather than trying to rush the connection.

[This message has been edited by MPALMER (edited 05-28-2004).]

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just out there in Feb. If you do dock next to the Queen Mary, it is quite a ways (say 2 miles) to the Transit Mall. There is a free mini-bus, so it would mostly depend on how long you had to wait on it. There are also taxis there. You transfer from the Blue Line to the Red Line (short ride) at 7th St/Metro Center, the end of the line. The ride on the Blue Line is no more than 45 minutes once you're rolling. The Starlight will in no case leave before 10:15 am, and in many cases later.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a very tight window to get off the train and get to Union Station. Your first challenge is to get off the ship quickly. Some cruise lines remove passengers in groups; it can take up to 2 hours to get everyone off the ship.
If you want to make the CS on the same day I suggest taking the following steps: make sure you can get off the ship in the first group. If you only have carry-on luggage for the cruise you can get off anytime. Take a cab to Union Station, it won't be cheap but it should be the quickest. Tell the cab driver to take the I-710 and use the carpool lanes on the 105 and 110
The other choice is to relax and enjoy your day anywhere in the Los Angeles area.

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a thruway bus that goes to San Pedro and Long Beach.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V/line
Member # 2199

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for V/line     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you all for the tips, we have already booked our tickets for the Coast Starlight the same day. We will be travelling light, I personally will only be bringing a medium size back pack from Australia & my friend about the same. So we will make every effort to be first off the boat then see if there's a mini bus to take us to the Transit Mall OR a cab, then see what the story is on the next Blue Line train OR the cab option down the suggested carpool lane on I 710, etc. I note from the Amtrak website the only Thruway Bus available departs 15 mins before the boat docks. So thanks again guys. Mike.
Posts: 8 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too will be in Long Beach visiting a friend next week and was wondering how to get to Union Station to catch the SW Chief. I was about to ask here... LOL

An Aussie and a Kiwi hitting the US within a week... will the US ever recover? LOL

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page