RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Difference between Superliner I and II?

Author Topic: Difference between Superliner I and II?
Superchief05
Member # 3271

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superchief05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the differences between the Superliner I and II's? Also, are there a lot more I's out there or vice versa?
Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will get you started: http://www.trainweb.com/accommod/super1.htm

Not mentioned on that page is the superior layout of the upstairs toilet in the Superliner I sleeper. It has twice as much floor space as a standard Superliner toilet, and also has a window.

Also not mentioned, the number boards on Superliner II cars (both those next to the exterior doors, and those just inside the end doors) are electronic digital types, whereas on Superliner I they are "analogue."

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, what is the number board that you refer to?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its what you see behind my shoulder in this photo. This is a Superliner I.

And here is one from a Superliner II. You can't read it too well from this angle, but its the illuminated rectangle at the extreme right of the photo.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the caltrain on the left? is it Amtrack long distance too or commuter? It looks newer than the superliners in the other pictures...
Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CalTrain is a Comuter Train that runs between San Jose and San Francisco, a good Comter service, once when Amtrak had a coach shortage, they barrowed a few of these coaches in the photo, and I rode one on the San Diegan

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Actually CalTrain runs as far south as Gilroy during commute hours. It will be extended to Salinas in a few years.
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question Mr. Toy. What is the significance of the numbers displayed on the number board?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
It indicates the position of the car in the train.

The first two digits are the train number (In the case of the photo above, that was train 6, the eastbound California Zephyr.)

The second two digits are the car number. I don't know about other trains, but on the Coast Starlight they are numbered from the diner outward. So, for example, sleepers forward of the diner on the northbound train are are 1430, 1431, 1432. Coaches on the Starlight are numbered 1411, 1412, etc. So when you walk from car to car it helps to remember your car number so you don't accidently walk into the right room in the wrong car.

Your ticket will have your car and room number somewhere on it. It reads something like "02/1431" meaning you have room 2 in car 1431.

You also need to know your car and room numbers when you sign for your meals in the diner.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct. Just to add that the 3rd number of the 4 is the type of car. 3 is a sleeper.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page