RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Is Fort Edward, NY a flag or real stop on the route north to Montreal?

Author Topic: Is Fort Edward, NY a flag or real stop on the route north to Montreal?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Fort Edward, NY a flag stop or real stop on route north to Montreal?

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Adirondack timetable located on the Amtrak website seems to indicate it is a regular stop. Don't rely on this for sure if you have reason to suspect otherwise. I'm sure someone on this forum who has taken that route before will have a better idea.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All stops are "real." A ticket bearing the name of a flag stop will ensure your arrival/departure there. Your reservation (required on all trains that have flag stops) will inform the crew to stop well before the train approaches the station.

For the record, though, Ft. Edward is a regular stop.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll tell you what though, I spent an afternoon train-watching at the Ft. Edward station about 5-6 years ago and it was an pretty unsightly place.

Station boarded up, no place to sit while waiting for the train, no pay telephone, no sign giving Amtrak arrival/departure info...it was about as dismal of a place to wait for a train as I have ever seen.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That poor little station at Fort Edward. . . it's as cute as can be, all painted yellow, but alas unmanned so nowhere to wait but on a park bench outside. The train arrives & you board not from the platform but in the middle of the road crossing. I can remember boarding the old Delaware & Hudson from that station to ride to Lake George - quite an excursion to a 10 year old. The station in Lake George still exists but is now a gift shop & ticket office for boats on Lake George that board across the street. (Sorry - more than anyone wanted to know about Fort Edward, I'm sure.)

To answer the initial question, the timetable for the Adirondack says (or used to say?) that reservations were required for all stops north of Albany. I took that to mean that if no one was expected at Fort Edward (on or off) the train might not stop. So if you plan to board the train there, I'd be sure to have a reservation.

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all and Grandma Judy. Lots of Amtrak's smaller stations are forlorn and lacking facilities. What the hell would one do if they had diarhea while waiting for the Adirondak to come!?

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go squat in the bushes and make sure the leaves you grab to wipe with are not poison ivy.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page