RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip on CZ and SWC

Author Topic: Trip on CZ and SWC
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:

I just returned from a trip out to California on the CZ and a return trip on the SWC. I am working on a report that I will post when I am finished with it. Just a few of the highlights that I noticed about each train:

1. The CZ dining service was all paper plates and plastic forks except at dinner when we had a china dinner plate, but paper and plastic everything else.

The SWC dining service was all china for all meals. The SWC dining crew seemed a little more efficient that the CZ crew. But overall both crews were very efficient and customer oriented.

I was travelling with a 5 1/2 year boy in a standard sleeper. At every meal he would fall asleep in the dining car.

2. We had Superliner II equipment on the CZ and I equipment on the SWC. I think that I like the Superliner I overall better than the II. The only thing that I don't like is the little closet and the steps on the Superliner I. You can put more stuff on the II steps. The closet takes away valuable space.

3. I used the shower on both trips and I was impressed with the size and easy use of the water.

4. On the CZ the car attendent put out bottled water and juice for use all day at the coffee station. I drank alot of this water. On the SWC the car attendant put the water (2 bottles) in our room and I never saw any more water out. I never asked for more. There was juice out on the SWC all the time.

5. The CZ takes more smoking breaks. The SWC was on time or early for the entire trip.

6. Scenery on the CZ was much better than SWC. SWC was more efficient at getting from point A to B though. This was only because I departed from Kansas City, took a shuttle to catch the CZ at Omaha. On the return trip on the SWC I ended the trip at Kansas City and did not have to ride any shuttles.

This was my first train trip on Amtrak, and I will make more trips. I was impressed with the service overall, especially when I factor in what I paid for the trip. I think that I definitely got my money's worth. If I wanted better service than what I got, I would use American Orient Express or another charter service.

I checked bags and had no problems with this. I also carried on a few items and had plenty of room to stow them in the room.

Brian Keefer

Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you generally enjoyed your experience.

The CZ having a lack of proper crockery and cutlery may have been due to a temporary shortage and/or supply problem. Twice now I have been on a train where we've stopped to transfer supplies and utensils over from a train going the other way.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear your first Amtrak adventure had to start at the shack in Omaha. Right next to it, that large white building, is Burlington Station, now abandoned. Accross the tracks is Union Station, now a museum. They used to be such beautiful stations.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the trip started at KC union station and then I rode in an Amtrak van to Omaha. KC's train station is pretty nice. The shack in Omaha was not that bad, they have a nice long platform. The old stations there are pretty neat looking, and we boarded near one of the old stations.
Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, the shack is nicer then most, and that old platform is probably long enough for the super train to do a single stop. However, it is just sad when you see those historic stations next door. Your next trip oughta be up to Chicago, it is a nice short run from our neck of the woods. Stay the weekend and see the sights.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another satisfied customer! Odd about the paper plates, though. Maybe the dishwasher was broken, hence the china at dinner only.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad you enjoyed your trip
how long has these stations been closed?
and is there any talk of re opening them?

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that paper plate note is interesting. I was on the WB Zephyr on May 25 (see my trip report on this forum!) and we had china and real silverware for the whole trip - along with an absolutely superb dining car staff. Glad you enjoyed your trip! I know I did.
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a good trip.

The SW Chief is Amtrak's fastest LD train. It's faster because it doesn't have as many - though is has a lot - of mountain grades the CZ has through Colorado.

I'm going to have to take some issue with your statement that the CZ is much better in scenery than the SWC.

Both are great with CZ offering more varied scenery and longer periods of mountains.

Both trains have average to dull scenery east of Denver and east of La Junta, typical Midwestern fields and rivers.

The SWC scenery may be better trackside, as the photos of it in Raton Pass, Glorieta Pass, Devil's Footstep, S-Curve, Grants, N.M., lava fields, and many other places, are truly stunning, especially shot from trackside as found here...
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakphotos/

That site also has shots of the CZ, though not nearly as much as the SWC.

The SWC also has many more still in use semaphores in northern NM. There are lots of photos of those too.
http://www.trainweb.org/moksrail/trains/swchief/main_pic_page.htm

Once you try to take pics of the SWC in NM, you're forever hooked.

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right, the CZ does have more varied and more mountainous scenery. I travel alot by car through the SWC route from Albuquerque north into Colorado, so much of that area is very familiar to me, the CZ area west of Denver was all new. I love the scenery in NM and Arizona, too.

I forgot to look for the semaphore signals on the SWC.

I enjoyed both trains and the parts of the country that they travelled through.

Brian

MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to ride both trains. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. I first made a WB CZ from KC via Galesburg via the Desert Wind to LA and back via the SWC in the 1980s.

I'm taking the CZ from Osceola, Ia., the 2nd stop east of Omaha, next month to San Fransisco area.

I chose not to ride the shuttle van to Omaha for a couple of reasons...

1) Extra cost. Last time I looked, Amtrak added $45 per direction, if memory serves me correctly.
2) Expensive parking at KCUS.
3) Osceola, a small town with a manned (volunteer) station and free parking, is just 2.5-3 hours drive from KC metro area up I-35.

Plus you get to take in the rolling countryside of Iowa in the morning and enjoy a breakfast. If the train's close to on time in Omaha, you miss that. It also gives you an extra free meal via the sleeper and not have to rush out of your bed by 6 a.m.

I've been on the SWC probably a half dozen times, mostly WB.

I've been on the CZ both directions once.

I recommend both trips.

Are you from Kansas City area, may I ask?
Contact me off list.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MOKSRail (edited 06-03-2004).]

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
I know what you mean about the expensive parking at KCUS. Why can't it be free like most of the other stations? The van ride to Omaha was not bad, but I would rather have gotten straight on the train in KC. I am from Tulsa so we had a 4 hr drive just to get to KC! I think that the next trips that we do will be on the SWC just to avoid the ride to Omaha.

Brian

Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Union Station is a museum now. Burlington is abandoned and in fairly poor condition inside. There is a group lobbying for light rail in Nebraska and they want the state to purchase and reopen Burlington, but I don't see that happening. If I recall correctly, Amtrak used Burlington in the 70s and then closed it to open an Amshack because the station was so expensive for so little traffic.
Union I believe closed when Union Pacific stopped running passenger trains. It is now a museum of Omaha history.

sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, BigMerle, you must be in Omaha; at any rate, I am, though currently living in the Middle East. I love to visit the old station, now a museum, and you're right, there had been talk in th 70's about restoring one of the stations, but Omaha is too cheap to foot the bill. They love to destroy landmarks in Omaha
I've often wondered why Amtrak couldn't use one little part of the museum. Would be nice.
So sad.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Yep, I live in beautiful downtown Omaha (If you haven't been here in the last few years, it is looking nice). I live close enough to the Amtrak station that once I just walked there (light on luggage that trip). There is always going to be talk about restoring burlington, and it would be so nice to see that happen. As for Union, right now there would be nowhere for the Zephyr to station at there, there is currently a Big Boy and a Centennial where the first platform used to be.
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a site that has some neat pics and history of the great station that the California Zephyr rolls by every night and morning..
http://www.geocities.com/burlingtonstation/index.html

I once entered the building about 3 years ago. There was an opening. Nothing of real interest though.

I later toured it with a group of NARP members - that NATIONAL ASSN OF RAILROAD PASSENGERS. Took pics.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page